Recipe & Video Grilled Octopus

Hungry Man

Local time
12:26 AM
Website
www.youtube.com
This is a very simple recipe in terms of the ingredients, but you will see some basic tips on how to tenderize the octopus before grilling it. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
- 1 octopus
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Dried oregano / thymes
- Wine vinegar
- Soy sauce (optional)

First of all, clean the octopus and remove the beak from the tentacles. (You can also cook & grill the body/head part after thoroughly cleaning it).
Then, cut the tentacles into separate pieces.
In a bowl or in the sink, rub the tentacles well to tenderize them. This will let the foamy liquid released from the tentacles and will help to tenderize the rubbery flesh of the octopus.
Add the tentacles to a deep pot, add some hot water and bring to boil.
Then, add some (1/2 glass) wine vinegar and dried oregano. Cook for at least 1 hour to tenderize the tentacles.
Remove the tentacles and put in a bowl or into a small storage container, add extra virgin olive oil, dried oregano and/or thymes.
Leave it to rest in the room temperature for about 30 minutes.
Keep the marinade sauce (olive oil and oregano) which will be used again for the grilling process.
Pre-heat the grill or a cast iron pan (must be searing hot) and grill the tentacles until seared.
Apply marinade to both sides while grilling and also apply a bit of soy sauce.

Below is also a link to my video for step by step recipe. Hope you enjoy it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dTQTcDJdsQ&t=12s

In a bowl or in the sink, rub the tentacles well to tenderize them. This will let the foamy liquid released from the tentacles and will help to tenderize the rubbery flesh of the octopus.

Didn't know this tip - not that there is a lot of octopus around here. But if & when I lay my hands on some I'll remember this.

Its amazing how much foam they produce. In the video it looks like you are washing them in soapy foamy water!
Exactly. In southern parts of Europe (e.g. Mediterranean countries), octopus is smashed on the rocks just after catching it to tenderize the flesh (I know it sounds a bit savage, but that's the traditional way). As most of the produce we are buying are not tenderized like this after caught, I am following this process at home to make sure it's pre-tenderized before cooking.

Alternatively you can pressure cook the octopus if you do not want to bother with this, but I prefer traditional :)

Alternatively you can pressure cook the octopus if you do not want to bother with this, but I prefer traditional
My family catch octopus in the winter and freeze them to use it their restaurants in the summer. This is for two reasons. 1 they taste better 2 the liquid inside the freeze and when it defrosts it expands and "breaks" the fibers, just like a frozen water pipe splits when it thaws. So there is no need to tenderize. My wife prepping for octopus salad starter.
44832248_470988576723996_1773834691682500608_n.jpg

My family catch octopus in the winter and freeze them to use it their restaurants in the summer. This is for two reasons. 1 they taste better 2 the liquid inside the freeze and when it defrosts it expands and "breaks" the fibers, just like a frozen water pipe splits when it thaws. So there is no need to tenderize. My wife prepping for octopus salad starter.View attachment 43112
I agree, unlike fish, frozen octopus is a good option.

I agree, unlike fish, frozen octopus is a good option.
I have a vac packer, I am lucky some of my wife family are fishermen on Hvar. We also have an excellent fish market in Split. If the non oily fish is fresh, prep it properly, vac it and even my wife can't tell the difference. Last week we had a glut of dover soles. They only eat well if frozen or left in the fridge to mature for 3/4 days. I bought 4 kgs. They are all prepped and in the freezer
65545174_606305259858993_6188518501636898816_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom