Recipe Grilled Rice

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
4:30 PM
My barbecue is too small to make this, but I wanted to share in case anyone else wanted to try it. I've never heard of grilled rice before, but it seems people are expanding the definition of grilling, with vegetable packets, fish packets, and now grilled rice. This seems to cook up pretty quickly, and if someone has a large grill, it would make a great addition / side dish along with meat or fish and grilled vegetables. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rice-on-the-grill?trkid=ZFB715

What an awesome idea. I never thought of rice as a grilled item before but after checking out the recipe I have to try it out. it sounds pretty simple to make and a great addition to any outing. This is going to be on my list for my next camping trip. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful idea.

Smart and super convenient - some of the best kinds of recipes are the easiest.

It's nice to be able to have a carb to cook on the grill alongside all the meat and veggies that usually go on there. I think we'll give it a try on an upcoming weekend - we tend to do a lot of grilling at this time of year!

I don't know what to say about this thread because I was born and raised with steamed rice. The only other way to cook rice is fried rice but that's from the leftover steamed rice. Our staple is rice although in some other areas here, they eat corn. Nevertheless, that really sounds interesting to grill rice. Maybe I have to try that grilled rice when I get the chance. But on second thought, that photo looks like a Spanish dish that we call Paella. I never thought that it is called grilled anyway.

I love simple recipes and turn out delicious. I used to take pleasure in creating elaborate dishes, and have even made a few tier cakes, but nowadays, I find myself seeking out simpler ideas and taking pleasure in enjoying the little things. I don't mind more complicated dishes, as long as they can be completed in parts, with hours or a day in between, because I can manage that, but I haven't done a marathon baking or cooking session in quite a while. This would probably be really good for camping, or when staying at a cabin and cooking outdoors.

@Corzhens I would say this is probably technically closer to steamed rice than actual grilled, since it has to be in a packet or pan, but since you eat a lot of rice anyway, it might be an interesting change. If you try it, let me know what you think.

I love simple recipes and turn out delicious. I used to take pleasure in creating elaborate dishes, and have even made a few tier cakes, but nowadays, I find myself seeking out simpler ideas and taking pleasure in enjoying the little things. I don't mind more complicated dishes, as long as they can be completed in parts, with hours or a day in between, because I can manage that, but I haven't done a marathon baking or cooking session in quite a while. This would probably be really good for camping, or when staying at a cabin and cooking outdoors.

@Corzhens I would say this is probably technically closer to steamed rice than actual grilled, since it has to be in a packet or pan, but since you eat a lot of rice anyway, it might be an interesting change. If you try it, let me know what you think.

I was kind of lost in that grilled rice because this thread was posted in the Outdoor Cooking board. What got into my mind was the barbecue pit and that kind of grilling. Anyway, we also grill rice although we don't do it at home because Paella, that grilled rice dish is difficult to cook. It has pork cubes, chicken pieces, vegetables and sea food. That many ingredient would make me dizzy, hahahaaa. But we have here what is called java rice. It is cooked in a pie pan, yes, grilled in the oven, with the main ingredients - rice and coconut milk. When cooked, the rice becomes sticky and delicious.

I was kind of lost in that grilled rice because this thread was posted in the Outdoor Cooking board. What got into my mind was the barbecue pit and that kind of grilling. Anyway, we also grill rice although we don't do it at home because Paella, that grilled rice dish is difficult to cook. It has pork cubes, chicken pieces, vegetables and sea food. That many ingredient would make me dizzy, hahahaaa. But we have here what is called java rice. It is cooked in a pie pan, yes, grilled in the oven, with the main ingredients - rice and coconut milk. When cooked, the rice becomes sticky and delicious.

Yes, this is actually cooked outside, on a barbecue, that's why I put it in that category. I guess it could also be cooked in the oven, but in doing that, I would put it on a tray with sides, like a jelly roll pan, just in case the foil broke. Otherwise, that would be a big mess.

The java rice sounds easy to make and delicious. I love coconut milk, and will have to remember that and look for a recipe.

Well I see a new recipe for rice and I always get excited. I always joke that I have cooked rice in every form imaginable but then I come and see grilled rice and I am introduced to yet another recipe with rice in the equation. I want to give this one a try but not on the grill in the first instance. I am going to go with the oven.

That isn't really grilling is it though? It is no different to putting a pan on the 'grill' and using it as a direct heat source to boil some carrots. Add a steamer to the top and you could steam some rice or some broccoli whilst boiling the carrots underneath. You could even make a stew if you thought about it long enough!

That isn't really grilling is it though? It is no different to putting a pan on the 'grill' and using it as a direct heat source to boil some carrots. Add a steamer to the top and you could steam some rice or some broccoli whilst boiling the carrots underneath. You could even make a stew if you thought about it long enough!

@winterybella

The idea with this is that some people bring their grills on camping trips, and don't have an oven handy. If I were at home and had a big enough grill, I'd just as soon use this recipe and cook everything at once on the grill, rather than using the grill outside, plus heating up the house to cook in the oven. Some people want a starch to go along with their meat, and this can be a nice replacement for the typical potatoes cooked on the grill. I wouldn't cook it outside like this if I were cooking in the kitchen as well, because that would double the work, and I believe the point of this recipe is to cut down on the steps needed to prepare a meal.

This thread also reminds me of what we kids used to do in camping (when I was a girl scout). We would have a bonfire at night and no marshmallows because that was expensive and unaffordable that time. What we do is bring sweet potatoes in our bag. After the bonfire, there would be embers from the wood that we would use to broil the sweet potato. And before retiring at night, we in my troop would be munching sweet potato. There are times that some classmates would bring corn on the cob. That's better than sweet potator.

Back
Top Bottom