Recipe Gruyere puffs (gougeres)

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:58 PM
Gruyere puffs (gougeres) with 2 sauces courtesy of Hubert Keller
37240-albums1008-picture6278.jpg

I placed these under this forum due to the fact that they have far, far more dairy in them than flour, and the Gruyere cheese is what makes them gougeres.

These can be made smaller, initial piping 1/2 inch, instead of the 1-1/2 inch called for, and used as finger foods as is (without sauce). Obviously, the baking time will be less. The larger ones with sauce should be eaten with knife and fork. Use 1 or the other sauce, not both, depending on the flavor profile you desire.

Make which ever sauce you are using first. It's better to keep the sauce warm than make the puffs/gougeres wait after they cool off a bit.

Puffs/gougeres
7 Tbsp butter, diced
pinch of salt
1 cup water
1 cup flour, sifted
5 medium eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup freshly grated Gruyere cheese

Egg wash
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp water

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly butter and flour a large baking sheet OR line with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, salt and water, then bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat immediately and add all the flour at one time. Vigorously beat the mixture wiith a wooden spoon until the mixture comes away from the sides of the pan and forms a ball. Return the pan to low heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is shiny and does not stick to the sides of the pan.

Place the mixture into a large mixing bowl and stir in the 5 eggs, 1 at a time, fully incorporating each egg before adding another. You can also do this in a stand mixture with the paddle bit (it's easier on your arm). I've also seen Jacques Pepin use a food processor. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and mix to fully incorporate.

Transfer the warm mixture to a piping bag with a plain 1/2 inch round tip. Pipe mounds of 1-1/2 inches, 2 inches apart onto the baking sheet. You should have around 18 more or less.

In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and water. Brush each mound with the egg wash and use the remaining 1/4 cup cheese to sprinkle over each mound.

Bake for 20-25 minutes in the center of the oven or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack.

Follow sauce directions for garnish and serving. Serve 3-5 puffs on a puddle of sauce.

Tomato and cumin seed sauce
1/2 Tbsp EVOO
1/2 onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded, cored, and coarsely chopped
1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves only
1 bay leaf
pinch of sugar
pinch of cumin seeds
S and P to taste

Bring a large pan of water to boil and blanch the tomatoes for about 2 minutes. Prepare as above.

Toast and lightly grind the cumin seeds.

In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the EVOO, then saute the onion for about 3-4 minutes until almost translucent and golden, then add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Add the remaining ingredients and ground cumin seeds, then simmer for 20-25 minutes until the mixture has thickened.

Roasted garlic/tomato sauce
1 cup tomato and cumin seed sauce, without the cumin seed
12 cloves garlic, roasted, peeled, and cut in half lengthwise
8 fresh basil leaves, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Garnish
small amount of vegetable oil for frying
12 fresh basil leaves

Make the Tomato and Cumin seed sauce above WITHOUT the cumin seeds. Stir in the garlic and basil. Taste and adjust seasonings. Keep warm.

Heat oil to 325 degrees F in a skillet. Fry the 12 basil leaves until bright green and translucent. Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt.

Last edited:
The larger ones with sauce should be eaten with knife and fork. Use 1 or the other sauce, not both, depending on the flavor profile you desire.

I'll have the larger ones please. :hungry: I like the idea of the different sauces. I always think of gougères as a finger food before so this is a new good thing for me.

Back
Top Bottom