Guanciale.

Saranak

Local time
9:26 AM
Ciao everyone,

I mentioned using Guanciale in one of my recipes and Morning Glory expressed that is almost impossible to find. I have spent a while looking and I have found a supplier on Ebay, it comes from Macerata so is real, it is quite expensive but a little goes a long way.
It costs £22.13 with £14.00 for delivery and is over 1 kilo. This is cheaper than my Deli!! So I will be buying.
This is the link -
GUANCIALE PORK CHEEK 1150gr Recchi Handcrafted Italian Meats | eBay.
Please forgive if I break any rules.

Sarana x

It took us so long to find it locally that we decided to make our own. Long story short, we found a supplier the day we bought the hog jowls. Ended up making German/Austrian Speck with the jowls. The process was interrupted by hurricane Irma. We had to freezer the curing meat and finish after the storm passed. Lot of soaking and rinsing before I could slow smoke the Speck.

I've now found several Italian delis who do sell it on-line. Unfortunately they all seem to charge ridiculous amounts for postage. :ohmy: It would really only be worth my ordering if I was ordering other stuff at the same time as I assume the postage would be the same.

I need to find a deli I can visit in person that sells it, I think.

I've now found several Italian delis who do sell it on-line. Unfortunately they all seem to charge ridiculous amounts for postage. :ohmy: It would really only be worth my ordering if I was ordering other stuff at the same time as I assume the postage would be the same.

I need to find a deli I can visit in person that sells it, I think.
Unfortunately true, and I can not find any made in UK.
Sarana x

We recently found it at a large Italian market, BUT, it was very expensive even there. The place we originally found it at is open to public on weekends, but is trade only the rest of the week. They are located right next to a HUGE farmer's market that is only open Saturday and Sunday, so I guess it's worth their while to open to the public then. The original place only sold it in a large package, which we broke down, vacupacked and froze in portions. I think we got 6 or 7 packages of about 1/3 pound each out of it for about $90. The deli we found it at was around $35 for less than 1/2 pound. We'll make the trip to the Farmer's Market next time we need guanciale.

Back
Top Bottom