Gyros

Termyn8or

Local time
11:10 PM
[Mod.Edit: This post and following few have been moved from another thread where they were off topic. (MG)]

I didn't see a thread handy and was going to start one about gyros, but this one isn't that old so I figure I'll jump in here. OK ?

Anyway, I like mine with the veggies, onion, pepper, tomato. But what I must share is how to make tzatziki sauce faster.

the long part of it i letting the cuks drain, welll me fix. You know you peel them right ? well when done keep on peeling all the way down and end up with VERY thin slices. These go in the standard soup strainer which I imagine everyone uses for this, but instead of overnight to drain.

You take your hand and pusha, pusha hard ! You can squeeza del iquid out. You must be diligent and really put some (_|_) into it, but once done all the other ingredients can go in. After that I have had it sit for only an hour and come out good.

When I make gyros, (eeros actually) I try to do pita but also have done them on burrito wraps. I do not put French fries on them.

T

Last edited by a moderator:
For the cukes, I shred them on a box grater, then squeeze them dry in a tea towel.

For the cukes, I shred them on a box grater, then squeeze them dry in a tea towel.
Me too, except I put them in a colander, toss them with salt, let them sit for a while, and then squeeze.

I've been thinking about making a gyro loaf. There's some lamb chunks somewhere in the freezer I came across.

Last edited:
I'm spoiled. I know a family that runs four Greek restaurants in the area and their gyros are fantastic. Keep in mind, that I cannot acquire the gyros meat at the stores. That comes from a couple places, like Kronos in Chicago and is typically sold on the spit to restaurants.

"Posts moved to form new topic. Old thread now closed!"

To meat, poultry and game ? Well if it makes sense to you fine.

Speaking of the meat, we get it at few places, usually frozen. I know in Greece they usually use pork but here it is lamb. It has a shape, anyone who has bought it has seen it.

Usualy already sliced. A few times I nuked it, my sister noticed it first, the whole thing is off so even from frozen we fry them now.

I actually think they are better in a burrito wrap because it is thinner and can be rolled into a handheld thing like a burrito and eaten more easily.

I have thought about putting grated cheddar on them but have not committed that blasphemy as of yet.

T

Well I guess you can't make a gyro without meat.

You could make a burrito without eat, people do just using beans instead, and of course other stuff.

Just trying to wrp my head around it here, being new i am not familiar with how things are done. I was thining of asking what else belongs with meat but I think i will just look around. That should tell me plenty.

T

Gyros are meat aren't they? Or am I misunderstanding the term 'gyros'? We don't have that term in the UK.
Yes, they are usually meat, though I suppose you could make a vegetarian one.

However, I think he was talking about the wrap/sandwich in general, so probably would have been better in the miscellaneous cooking discussions or the sandwiches subforums.

Back
Top Bottom