Had enough with deceptive advertising...

Yeah, that lawyer is well-known for filing wacky lawsuits, just so they can be settled out of court.

Based on that, I’m suing Rachel Ray and Jamie Oliver for making me think “30 minute meals” are a possibility in my kitchen. :laugh:

Yeah, that lawyer is well-known for filing wacky lawsuits, just so they can be settled out of court.

Based on that, I’m suing Rachel Ray and Jamie Oliver for making me think “30 minute meals” are a possibility in my kitchen. :laugh:
Oh I thought you'd mention Jamie's 15 minute meals. I don't even get those done because I don't have a professional kitchen in my house somehow.

Oh I thought you'd mention Jamie's 15 minute meals. I don't even get those done because I don't have a professional kitchen in my house somehow.

What annoys me about these programmes is the amount of washing-up he creates in the process. At least the Velveeta example is washing-up free.

I've actually been able to complete a 30 minute meal, bbuutt, I worked at top speed the entire time, didn't clean as I went as I normally do, had the burners hot, and had any water or stock that needed to be hot going, and had all my tools and ingredients out and in place, which all of that and after clean up added to the 30 minutes, but the meal itself did get cooked in 30 minutes.

Do I want to cook that way? No. If I wanted to push like that I'd be working in a commercial kitchen.

I'm sure that attorney makes a very nice living on just settlements paid by large companies to make him/her go away. It's a sad commentary on the letigious aspect of US society.

I think we can do the 30 minute cooking thing if we prep some food parts ahead of time (like chopping vegetables, seasoning protein, reducing sauce, etc). That of course would mean spending 3 hours cooking on a Sunday so you can cook in 30 minutes on a Tuesday :laugh:

I think we can do the 30 minute cooking thing if we prep some food parts ahead of time (like chopping vegetables, seasoning protein, reducing sauce, etc). That of course would mean spending 3 hours cooking on a Sunday so you can cook in 30 minutes on a Tuesday :laugh:
Picky Eater always comments, "It takes you a long time to make a meal. I just warm up some roast chicken."

I actually read the article now, I mean what?? Can't they ban this kind of lawsuits, this seems like a waste of everyone's time for the 3.5 minutes the verdict will take! :laugh:

I actually read the article now, I mean what?? Can't they ban this kind of lawsuits, this seems like a waste of everyone's time for the 3.5 minutes the verdict will take! :laugh:

Banning lawsuits is a risky business. Yes, there are people who file frivolous lawsuits, but attempts by politicians to ban them are always proposals to protect big corporations from ANY lawsuits, even the ones that are justified. They call it "tort reform," and in addition to protecting big business from frivolous lawsuits and damage from lawsuits like this clearly frivolous Kraft mac-n-cheese lawsuit, they also protect them from legitimate lawsuits and damages for something like people getting very sick, or even dying, from food poisoning from a Kraft product.

But, that's why we have courts, with judges and juries. It is their job to weed out this kind of nonsense.

CD

Banning lawsuits is a risky business. Yes, there are people who file frivolous lawsuits, but attempts by politicians to ban them are always proposals to protect big corporations from ANY lawsuits, even the ones that are justified. They call it "tort reform," and in addition to protecting big business from frivolous lawsuits and damage from lawsuits like this clearly frivolous Kraft mac-n-cheese lawsuit, they also protect them from legitimate lawsuits and damages for something like people getting very sick, or even dying, from food poisoning from a Kraft product.

But, that's why we have courts, with judges and juries. It is their job to weed out this kind of nonsense.

CD
The one thing that would go a long way to cure the problem is something that will never happen- adopting "loser pays legal costs." I'd add, "if loser can't pay, loser's lawyer does."

Hey, a guy can dream.

In American litigation, the goal is often (maybe even usually) not to win at trial but to collect a settlement made by defendants to avoid the greater expense of going to trial. I have a lot of personal experience in this. Plaintiffs can get lawyers on a contingency basis; defendants have no such option.

While this lawsuit is ridiculous, companies should also be careful with their marketing and the claims they make. I've read the article and I don't think the company was being purposefully deceitful in this case, but there's plenty of products claiming to do this and that and everything in this world, and consumers should be protected from those kinds of overbloated claims. In this light consumer litigations are useful if they deter companies from using these strategies.

And I don't think it's unreasonable if anyone sued Jamie Oliver for making people believe they can prep, cook and serve a meal with 35464 ingredients in just 30 minutes :whistling::giggle:

this seems like a waste of everyone's time for the 3.5 minutes the verdict will take! :laugh:
This will likely never make it to a courtroom. The filing lawyer will meet with Kraft’s legal department, they’ll offer his client a settlement that’s less than what they spend on toilet paper in a week, he’ll take it and pull the lawsuit.

NPR did a little story a while ago on this lawyer, and found that most of his lawsuits end that way.

No idea what a 15 minute meal is. If one is actually COOKING.

It takes me 15 minutes just to get everything out and ready....

Back
Top Bottom