Halloween

It is Thursday night, 8:45 PM. Not one trick or treater. We live in a nice neighborhood, houses are decorated, porch lights are on. Anyone else having trick or treaters in your neighborhood?

Neighborhood trick-or-treating has pretty much died off around here. I don't bother to buy candy that I'll end up eating myself. The big mall near me has trick-or-treating, with the stores giving out candy to the kids. I wonder what Williams-Sonoma gives out? Or, the Godiva Chocolates store?

CD

We haven't had kids here for years. I think, more and more, parents are opting for the events various places put on.

I spoke with my niece, and she has a 5yo and lives in a typical city suburb housing development. They neither went out nor got any kids. Why? They had trick-or-treat events at his school, at a shopping center, and at the zoo, a different event every day or so, so they didn't feel the need to take him out.

On a side note, it's always a little weird in Ohio, because a lot of the cities/towns/villages (including ours) follow Beggar's Night, and it's not always on Halloween, though sometimes it is (this year it happens to be) and it straight-up confuses the hell out of me, and I'm from here. 😐

because a lot of the cities/towns/villages (including ours) follow Beggar's Night, and it's not always on Halloween, though sometimes it is (this year it happens to be) and it straight-up confuses the hell out of me, and I'm from here.

Never heard of Beggar's Night - pray tell more?

Never heard of Beggar's Night - pray tell more?
I don't even understand it myself, but it's basically trick-or-treat, but (frequently) held on a night other than Halloween. I think it had something to do, at one time anyway, with Halloween being seen as too rowdy/too anti-religious, so they moved the kiddie portion (the candy grab) to another night.

We never participated in Halloween (religious reasons) when I was a kid, and we lived out in the middle of nowhere, so we never had kids stopping by, so Halloween wasn't ever much on my radar until I became an adult.

Look what I found: Beggars Night - Wikipedia

I don't even understand it myself, but it's basically trick-or-treat, but (frequently) held on a night other than Halloween. I think it had something to do, at one time anyway, with Halloween being seen as too rowdy/too anti-religious, so they moved the kiddie portion (the candy grab) to another night.

We never participated in Halloween (religious reasons) when I was a kid, and we lived out in the middle of nowhere, so we never had kids stopping by, so Halloween wasn't ever much on my radar until I became an adult.

Look what I found: Beggars Night - Wikipedia

Got it. We don't have it in the UK (yet).

No trick or treaters, but I didn't expect that up here. (There wasn't any candy here, if they did show up. They'd have gotten an apple. And only the first four or five.)
1) it was a blustery rainy, chill-inducing night.
2) I'm rural. There are NO children living on my road whatsoever. A few adults, chickens, and I do hear cows lowing down the road.
3) My driveway is long. It may be flat, but it is long.
4) We had two community in-building (warm) events this past Saturday for people to bring their children to.

I do seriously miss trick or treaters. It's a real fun idea, and probably still prevalent in apartments and condos where kids don't have to walk that far. I lived in a condo once. I was startled with the number of kids parents dropped off... and over the time I lived there, I was startled by the number of kids too lazy to climb to the second floor to knock for trick or treats - an upstairs neighbor resorted to yelling down: "Hey, I've got candy, too!"

At any rate, whether you celebrate the Hallows for kid-fun, or for a party, or for spiritual-religious purposes - I hope yours was good!

There were a lot of children out trick or treating around our estate last night, but there's an understanding that if the house isn't decorated then you don't knock - so we were left alone :okay:

There were a lot of children out trick or treating around our estate last night, but there's an understanding that if the house isn't decorated then you don't knock - so we were left alone :okay:

Not everyone who wants trick or treaters has decorations outside.

Basically, the rule was (when I lived where there were kids coming around) - turn off your outdoor lights in the front when you 1) run out of treats, or 2) don't want to participate to begin with.

That is the same here. They never showed up at all in this neighborhood. Last night was a school night. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.

DH just talked to some of the neighbors. None of them had any kids come to their door either. They just agreed, next year they will set a bar up in front of their house and the grown-ups will go door to door trick or treating for drinks. lol Good idea!!!!!

DH just talked to some of the neighbors. None of them had any kids come to their door either. They just agreed, next year they will set a bar up in front of their house and the grown-ups will go door to door trick or treating for drinks. lol Good idea!!!!!

I know people who have done that. They say it's a blast. They do it after the kids should be inside for the night. You walk the neighborhood and stop at participant's homes for a cocktail. I live in the buckle of the bible belt, so it is probably not legal here, but it sounds like a good way to have some fun and get to know your neighbors.

CD

Back
Top Bottom