Hanami Celebrations

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
2:17 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Right now here in Japan we are in the thick of Hanami season, when the cherry blossoms are out and blooming. It's my most loved time of the year.

Hanami parties are where people will pack a picnic and enjoy it under the beautiful cherry blossom trees - it's such a quintessential springtime activity here.

Which leads me to the question - what are your favorite foods to pack for a picnic? Give me some inspiration on how to fill my picnic basket for the weekend!

I rarely go on a picnic and should I decide to normally I buy from the surrounding stores or streetfood carts. I do have a question for you though, do you use the leaves of the cherry blossoms on your bento lunch or other Japanese recipes? I am curious to know.

That springtime activity of picnicking under cherry blossom trees, which is celebrated in Japan, sounds interesting to me. I think the last time I went on a picnic must have been 2 years ago.

For a picnic I like to do simple foods like one-pot meals. For instance, I would carry foods like cook-up rice or chicken chowmein. These foods do not need any sauce and would therefore be easy to transport. I also like to carry sandwiches containing spreads like cheese, tuna or luncheon meat. Some kind of cake or sweet biscuits would also form part of the picnic basket, along with some fruit drinks. Potato chips also make for good snacks at these picnic events.

wow, I have not been on a picnic for some time. Although the summer before last we had a huge family reunion and it was a potluck picnic. Everyone brought a dish. Something like a pasta salad that can be served cold is always good on a picnic as well as cheese and crackers served along with fruit. Fried chicken etc. Almost anything can be picnic food, as long as it does not have to be heated.

Back
Top Bottom