Happy Birthday, caseydog

Thank you so much, SatNav.

I am now one year away from 60. Not quite like turning 29 and spending a weekend at the lake house going fast on the boat or SeaDoo, eating and drinking all day, surrounded by equally young and energetic friends.

Some friends are taking me to lunch, which is a big deal these pandemic days. I'm craving TexMex cheese and onion enchiladas. Texas comfort food.

I can't drink alcohol, but I did spring for a good cigar to enjoy on the patio this evening.

CD

Note to ElizabethB, my lake house, well actually, my parents, sister and I bought three properties and one house at Lake Livingston. Have you ever been there? You would probably call the lake house a "camp." The whole "camp" thing is something only people from SE Texas and South LA would "get." My "camp" was a three bedroom, two bath house. It got struck by lightning, and burned a wee bit. We fixed it and sold it for three times what we paid for it. We couldn't pass that deal up.

CD

Thank you. My family came to America from Torino about 100 years ago. I love hearing your cooking talk, and your natural Italian charm.
Siete i benvenuti signore,
So explain why you so good cook CD!!
Torino is beautiful citta. Is true Italians an we Napulitani get every where!! So you family part of great migrations? Many from Napoli go also, they think gold streets an better life but things no as think it tough for many no speak English different cultures many looked on with suspicions an distrusts. Even when I come UK 40 year ago it same here.
CD mi dispiace but do you family still keep Italian tradition? I ask this because I teach my Bambini what means be Napulitani I teach them language (Our different from Italian UNESCO say Napulitani one of protected ancient language) an our culture in deed I say Ray you honorary Napulitani! He laugh so hard.
Our history in Italia thousands years, Napoli citta lay down 600BC may be before some think 1,500BC. CD I proud to live in UK an proud to have English husband but I Napulitani first.
Grazie CD for kind words.
I hope you enjoy you birthday!!!

Sarana x

Happy birthday caseydog. :cake:

I'll raise a glass to you. If only I was turning 60 again! I'm ten years on from you so you are a youngster to me. Incidentally - the system automatically generates the Happy Birthday messages which appear as a post from the site owner (SatNav). It will only generate the Happy Birthday message for those who have ticked whatever box it is in their profile preferences.

Siete i benvenuti signore,
So explain why you so good cook CD!!
Torino is beautiful citta. Is true Italians an we Napulitani get every where!! So you family part of great migrations? Many from Napoli go also, they think gold streets an better life but things no as think it tough for many no speak English different cultures many looked on with suspicions an distrusts. Even when I come UK 40 year ago it same here.
CD mi dispiace but do you family still keep Italian tradition? I ask this because I teach my Bambini what means be Napulitani I teach them language (Our different from Italian UNESCO say Napulitani one of protected ancient language) an our culture in deed I say Ray you honorary Napulitani! He laugh so hard.
Our history in Italia thousands years, Napoli citta lay down 600BC may be before some think 1,500BC. CD I proud to live in UK an proud to have English husband but I Napulitani first.
Grazie CD for kind words.
I hope you enjoy you birthday!!!

Sarana x

My great grandfather came here from Torino about 100 years ago. He was a machinist, and settled near Pittsburgh PA and worked to make money to bring his wife and first two children here. He had six more children, and one of them was my grandfather.

Like many Italian immigrants to America, they raised their children to learn and speak English, even though they themselves could not speak the language. My grandfather could speak both English and Italian, my father was not taught Italian. Only English.

I wish I could speak Italian, just for the nostalgia. But, I am still drawn to my roots, and I have enjoyed my trips to Italia, and enjoy eating both Italian immigrant food, and the food they still cook in Italia. Italian immigrant food is different, but it is still cooked by Nonnas.

CD

Happy birthday caseydog. :cake:

I'll raise a glass to you. If only I was turning 60 again! I'm ten years on from you so you are a youngster to me. Incidentally - the system automatically generates the Happy Birthday messages which appear as a post from the site owner (SatNav). It will only generate the Happy Birthday message for those who have ticked whatever box it is in their profile preferences.

Well, I will choose to believe that SatNav did an override of the system to wish me a happy birthday. Thanks again SatNav, no matter what MG says.

CD

I wish I could speak Italian, just for the nostalgia. But, I am still drawn to my roots, and I have enjoyed my trips to Italia, and enjoy eating both Italian immigrant food, and the food they still cook in Italia. Italian immigrant food is different, but it is still cooked by Nonnas.
CD I find this many time I have Italian friend here an I before lock down we meet up. Italian immigrant food is different for can not get certain thing. 100 year is long time for be away from home country. I pleased you honour roots Bello, mi dispiace but no nostalgia is who you are, to speak language of home an ancestors is gift. For me si I Inglese for marriage but I still Napulitani. I see sad many Italians lose our cultures an who we are (I no mean you) I see many young Italian English lose the mother tongue, I insist when Bambini here we speak Napulitani all time, In deed is odd now my Bambini proud to speak before when young they fight me, I say never forget what you are! They say we English, I say no you father English I no respect me.
To learn Italian is no hard Bello but I speak Napulitani is different, is like Capische in Italian it Capiato in Napulitani (This mean understand) For me CD I lose me I lose all I am I hold all I am to be Napulitani I proud woman I small yet I strong because where I come from. Mi dispiace yet for me forget home is anathema.
One time I take Bambini to Napoli, they so young I say watch an listen this is in you blood. CD we fiery peoples my Bambini first scare but then they see warmth an who we are they call my Maria Bambola (Little doll) I show all good an bad. I take them dock an sit an tell them about time gone in a few week they understand. I take to SSC game they hear pride and honour in way we sing. Then they ask history where we come from I tell them. One time Antonio say when asked where he from he say I Napulitani!
I see to be Napulitani or Italian as gift from God.

Sarana x

Happy birthday! Enjoy that cigar, and make the most of eating out. That's a real treat these days.

Regarding languages, my brother's first wife is Korean, and when they had their kids, she was adamant they would not be taught the language and she wouldn't tell them anything much about growing up in Korea, or her family, or anything like that. If they'd ask, she'd say, "You American, you no Korean!"

Back
Top Bottom