Happy Halloween

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:14 AM
Happy Halloween, folks. Is anyone partying tonight? My son's girlfiend (she lives here with us), is off to a girly fancy dress party in London. She is dressing as a murderous Mary Berry (Mary Berry is a famous cake-making matriarch on British TV), complete with frilly pinny and wielding a blood stained (fake) knife.

Which reminds me. Its your last chance to enter the Quiz: Trick or Treat. At the moment its a two horse race between @SatNavSaysStraightOn and @classic33. There are loads of cryptic clues posted. So if you are any good at anagrams... Answers will be posted at midnight GMT.

Happy Halloween too! Here in my husband country in their culture they do not give importance celebrating the Halloween and if ever there are only a few. Actually since I lived here I do not see here in our neighborhood having this spirit for the Halloween not unlike in my home country it is fun and happy.

Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, which involved an awful lot of sacrifice. November 1st marked the start of the Celtic year, which was the beginning of winter. Virtually all present Halloween traditions can be traced to the ancient Celtic day of the dead, so rather like Christmas, it's another example of Christianity hijacking pagan festivals.

Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, which involved an awful lot of sacrifice. November 1st marked the start of the Celtic year, which was the beginning of winter. Virtually all present Halloween traditions can be traced to the ancient Celtic day of the dead, so rather like Christmas, it's another example of Christianity hijacking pagan festivals.
They didn't have guinness back then though!

Hope everyone has a Happy Halloween, now that the kids are teens and do not go out dressed up anymore it is a quite day for me, just giving out the candy.

Happy Halloween! I usually don't get any trick or treaters where I live but I may head down to the mall later and check out all the little ones and their costumes later today. I love seeing all the little ones so happy and excited. I will be seeing the grandchildren later this afternoon. I am looking forward to that. For us though it will be a quiet evening at home watching some scary movies.

Hope everyone has a Happy Halloween, now that the kids are teens and do not go out dressed up anymore it is a quite day for me, just giving out the candy.
Sweets'd be no good round here. They want money. With "their parents" videoing your reaction on the phone.

This year I celebrated the day with a ghost walk with a up and coming actor around Dorchester the site of the bloody azizses,and was told how judge Jeffrey sentenced traitors to be hung drawn and quartered ,and how it was done ,nasty!

My wife and sister n law have taken over the tradition of making the toffee apples for our village fire work display ,they get the apples direct from the John Lewis estate orchard and choose all the smaller apples ,they did 205 it cook four hours ,it has always been a tradition in the village

Back
Top Bottom