Happy Thanksgiving USA!

L_B

Veteran
Local time
3:21 PM
So what is everybody in the USA having for Thanksgiving dinner? How are you celebrating the holiday? I wish each and every one of you all the best today, Enjoy your time spent with family and friends. Be thankful for all that you are blessed with in life! Cheers!!

I had read a lot of Thanksgiving dishes and I'm beginning to feel like I am missing Thanksgiving although we don't have that tradition here in the Philippines. First and foremost is the turkey. Oh how I love to sample a freshly cooked turkey with all the garnishing and the fillings. From what I gathered, the fillings will really make you get another load. Well, all I can say to those in America is have a nice day and a plentiful food on the dining table.

Thank you Corzhens. Yeah, Thanksgiving is the second biggest holiday here with Christmas being first. It is a nice gathering of friends and family. We will be having turkey with all the trimmings. It is pretty warm here, so some outdoor activity will be in order as well. And their is always football and parades.

Reactions: L_B
Happy Thanksgiving! We usually go all out with turkey, dressing/stuffing, potatoes, pies...the works. But this year, we are going low-key and have actually made reservations at one of our favorite restaurants.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating that holiday today. You have 2 holidays following one after the other, since Christmas is just around the corner. We have 2 holidays coming close together too, since our Independence Day is next week, followed by Christmas celebrations in December.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating that holiday today. You have 2 holidays following one after the other, since Christmas is just around the corner. We have 2 holidays coming close together too, since our Independence Day is next week, followed by Christmas celebrations in December.
Do you have any special celebrations planned for Independence Day? Are there any dedicated recipes/foods that tend to be associated with it such as turkey is with thanksgiving and Christmas?

Do you have any special celebrations planned for Independence Day? Are there any dedicated recipes/foods that tend to be associated with it such as turkey is with thanksgiving and Christmas?

On our Independence day, the main attraction is an Independence day parade early in the morning, by different organizations in the country. Many people like to go out and watch this parade. After that, people mostly spend the time at the beach or going to picnics and outings with their families. Most people also like to wear our Independence colours on that day.

Where the eats are concerned, we would eat mostly local treats, like coconut bread, cassava pone, conkies, fishcakes and bakes, and sugar cakes. The drinks would be our locally made drinks, like ginger beer, mauby and lemonade. Some people would make these drinks and treats, while others would just buy them. For dinner, we do not usually have anything special like dedicated recipes or foods like turkey or any other special dish.

On our Independence day, the main attraction is an Independence day parade early in the morning, by different organizations in the country. Many people like to go out and watch this parade. After that, people mostly spend the time at the beach or going to picnics and outings with their families. Most people also like to wear our Independence colours on that day.

Where the eats are concerned, we would eat mostly local treats, like coconut bread, cassava pone, conkies, fishcakes and bakes, and sugar cakes. The drinks would be our locally made drinks, like ginger beer, mauby and lemonade. Some people would make these drinks and treats, while others would just buy them. For dinner, we do not usually have anything special like dedicated recipes or foods like turkey or any other special dish.

That sounds like a great time. I never realized that it was celebrated that way. When is it? I love learning about all the customs and traditions of other countries on here. It is so interested. I know what most of the foods you listed are but what are conkies?

If you were to start another thread up, with some information on it and a few ideas on recipes and the likes, I can feature it so that people know about your thanksgiving day next week.

Reactions: L_B
Living in Japan right now but with an American hubby, we still had the full American style Thanksgiving with family and friends. Turkey, stuffing, mac & cheese, green beans, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, a spinach salad, corn salad and 3 types of pie (apple, pumpkin and pecan) -- everyone was suitably stuffed and there were plenty of leftovers too for everyone to take home!

That sounds like a great time. I never realized that it was celebrated that way. When is it? I love learning about all the customs and traditions of other countries on here. It is so interested. I know what most of the foods you listed are but what are conkies?

Our Independence Day is on Monday, November 30th. Conkies, also known as stew dumplings, are made from corn flour, pumpkin, coconut, raisins, sugar, spice, nutmeg and essence. When all of these ingredients have been mixed together, tablespoons full of the mixture are placed into banana leaves which would have been cleaned and singed beforehand. The mixture is wrapped in these banana leaves and put to steam on a rack over boiling water in a large pot until they are firm and cooked.

See photos of conkies below.

upload_2015-11-27_13-55-34.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7haiB2lJzx7t-gY4DSJ7_zPK4ixaHYzf-_TtHjdLQhac3G0ZHAQ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom