Hard Boiled Eggs...Without Water

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:11 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I know that the eggs can't technically be hard boiled if they aren't cooked in water, but I just read this technique to cook eggs in the oven and achieve the same result:

The No-Pot, No-Water Way to Make Hard-Boiled Eggs

Really, this is something I would probably never do. It takes much longer to make, and uses much more energy (heating an entire oven vs. a single burner on the stove). But, if I ever decide that I want to make dozens of eggs at the same time, this would be the way to do it. That would actually be a more efficient than having all the burners going on the stove.

interesting. there are many expeditions into "oven cooking" vs the more traditional methods.
bacon, caramelized onion, basic medium/dark/brick roux......

in my old fashion stick-in-the-mud fashion, I bring water to a violent boil, poke a hole in the big end of the egg, use the timer.

the timing for soft/hard does depend on a lot of issues - however only when the number of eggs is very large in comparison to the pot volume.
starting temperature is one. I keep eggs in the same spot in the fridge. I leave the eggs in the fridge until the water is boiling. poke hole, boil eggs.
we had to buy a new fridge, it does temperatures different, had to adjust my timing . . .

never had a problem with peeling - but based on a number of reputable posters (imho) I am tempted to try the steaming method. primarily as bringing a small amount of water to a boil is quicker than an full pot....
cooking by steaming does take longer 'once started' - but my question is quicker for 'start to finish' - i.e. time to boil lots of water and short immersion vs short time to make steam but longer cook time.

Wow. And what is the hole for? First info to me...
I have done Easter decorations on 'empty eggs', and we poked two holes to blow out the whites and thr yolks, but that is a different thing...
It lets the air out of that little pocket so the eggshell doesn't crack while boiling.

Also, it's supposed to make it easier to peel.

Last edited:
adding to the above....

the "big end" has an "air sack" - actually a CO2 sack....but I digress

any defect that weakens the structure of the shell can/will be "exploited" when the egg is heated.
you've probably had an egg crack during cooking and observed strands of egg white and foam in the pot....

poking a hole in 'the big end' allows any increase in internal pressure to 'vent' before the shell cracks and spills stuff out into the pot water.

I do know that if you put an egg into a microwave for 30 seconds and then take it to the table and crack the top off it will explode, then it will take 2 hours to clean the room. Any thoughts on how I know this.:yuck:

There is a technique I use a lot to boil eggs in the microwave. Recipe - How to boil an egg in the microwave

Tried this a while ago - I thought I posted the result (maybe not). It was OK but took too long for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom