Hard boiling eggs

Yorky - do you take your eggs straight from the fridge and into the water, or do you let them sit out at all?

Also, how long do you rinse them for?

As you can guess, I’m gearing up to try this.

I prefer to leave them out of the fridge for a while (about an hour) although not always and it doesn't appear to make much difference.

I don't actually rinse, as such. I empty out the hot water and fill the pan with "cold". After a minute, empty out the water and fill with "cold" again. Then leave them until I'm ready to peel them.

My wife likes to eat them cold with soy sauce and she'll keep them in the fridge for up to a day before peeling them and the yolk is usually still liquid.

soft boiled. i steam them. 6 minutes exactly. 6.5 if the eggs are huge. there is no recovery time when i put the cold eggs into a steamer, like there is if you put them into the water.

As far as hard or soft boiling eggs go:

With more or less "regular" sized eggs, I find that each burner (hob for you Brits) cooks differently - I know this shouldn't matter for those who bring their water to a boil before introducing their eggs to the pot, but I start my eggs from tap water. I add salt - which often helps more fragile eggs from spewing their contents all over the place -- it's an osmotic pressure thing.

So, once the water comes to boil, on my particular range/cooktop, depending on which burner / hob I use - 2 or maybe 3 minutes . Solid white, liquid yolk. If for something Vietnamese, a little less liquidly, but still liquid.

For hard, I let the water around them boil for around five minutes (again, starting from tap water), turn off the heat, and let them sit there another ten or so minutes to firm up in the heated water.

I LOVE soft boiled eggs - but they have to be warm when eaten. I usually only make hard boiled eggs when I am about to take a road trip and want food for the car, and they will usually but not always be chilled. Or if I'm making a dish of deviled eggs to take somewhere.

Or for an egg salad sandie - those as my mother made them, were always best served still warm and very coarsely chopped.

As you can guess, I’m gearing up to try this.
…and here’s the result:

That’s just about perfect for what I’m looking for - no streaky white bits in the yolk, and no chunky yolk, either.

The only downside…that egg was near-impossible to extract from the shell. I don’t know if it was the egg (used a brand that’s new to me) or the method of bringing it up to the boil versus dropping it straight in boiling water (some say it’s that thermal shock that makes an egg easy to peel), but it was a real fight to coax it out, even scraping it with the spoon.

All in all, though, very pleased. Before I’m 100% committed, I’ll have to try this a few more times to make sure I get consistent results, as that’s been a problem in the past as well.

Thanks, Yorky!

Back
Top Bottom