Has anyone else ever made Soup Stock Before?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
11:44 PM
I have.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has done it before.

My two favorites are Beef & Chicken Stock. :wink:

Last edited:
Veal stock every week with pigs trotters in
Vegetable boulliin for soups and risottos
Beef stock for sauces
And chicken stock made from the wing tips
Always at least two in my fridge at work
A good stock is easy to make but easy to get wrong

Forgot that Veggie Stock can also be made. For those who are vegetarians & don't eat meat. :wink:

I've made chicken stock before. However, the stock wasn't for chicken noodle soup. I'd made it in order to make an attempt at making egg drop soup. It actually took quite a long time before I figured out how to do it right. I think I had to add corn starch or something along those lines to thicken the stock so the soup wouldn't be overly watery.

Yeah, all day every day. My family hardly ever uses bouillon cubes. We always have some chicken bones or something in our freezer, ready to make stock

I sometimes use chicken, beef or seafood base, depending on what meat flavor the stock is. And that is usually after the stock is made & I'm making the actual soup from it. :wink:

I'd say I make veggie broth from scratch more than any other broth. Primarily because I use SO many vegetables through the week & I can easily build up my freezer Ziploc with the 'discarded' pieces of veggies & herbs that I later use in the broth. Usually every Sunday it smells like a delicious soup in my house. Though they can have none! I use the broth for other recipes during the week. :chef:

When I have a chicken I will cook the bones down until what meat is still on the bones fall off and use the stock after pulling out the bones to make soup.

I think that the best way to do it is to use the scraps from a chicken or two, or from a turkey caucus , such as the backbones tails, wing tips & whatever else have you that you normally wouldn't bring to the dinner table a 2nd time. I do this from time to time.

I once cleaned out the freezer, throwing away old food, and found a lot of wing tips from times when I had cut them off the wings themselves. Enough to make a big 5-qt Dutch Oven full of stock! I like to store it in the freezer and use it as needed - to keep on hand when a recipe might call for some of it. :wink:

Usually it is a chicken or beef stock, although I have been doing much more with vegetables of late. I think both meat stocks are rather easy, When I am making a larger roast I make sure I have made more then enough drippings for both a gravy and some stock. I had read years ago that if you wanted to freeze stock to use a ice cube tray that was greased. Freeze in cube portions and pop out and use as needed. Now I do use herbs in my stock while it is cooking but there are people that think it would be better pure with nothing added. Just make sure if you decide to go the cube method you remove the cubes from the tray and store them either in a freezer container or a good grade freezer bag to prevent ice burn.

Usually it is a chicken or beef stock, although I have been doing much more with vegetables of late. I think both meat stocks are rather easy, When I am making a larger roast I make sure I have made more then enough drippings for both a gravy and some stock. I had read years ago that if you wanted to freeze stock to use a ice cube tray that was greased. Freeze in cube portions and pop out and use as needed. Now I do use herbs in my stock while it is cooking but there are people that think it would be better pure with nothing added. Just make sure if you decide to go the cube method you remove the cubes from the tray and store them either in a freezer container or a good grade freezer bag to prevent ice burn.

I heard that also. :wink:

I make a lot stocks and broths - brown (bone) stock, white (bone) stock, fish stock, vegetable stock, chinese base stock, mutton bone reduction, & demi glace. It really depends on what I'll be using it for. I'll even use bones twice just to ink out every bit of flavor. This and bread (plus thing from the garden) are the cornerstone of my cooking. I don't think I could aford to feed all the teen boys without it! It adds flavor to the most mundane, cheap ingredients; total must for my kitchen.

I've mainly only cooked Chicken and Vegetable stocks - for whatever reason I still haven't gotten around to trying to make a beef stock or a pork stock. I guess it's mainly because I seldom buy any red meat with the bone in it - and if I do, I usually cook the bone along with the meat itself (such as with a t-bone). I do buy a lot of pork, but again, not often with the bone still in it. I mainly stick to boneless chops if I do buy them, because I don't want to be bothered with the extra cooking time to make sure the blood in the bones are cooked through as well. Similarly I avoid roasts with the bone still in, such as a pork butt, since it increases the cooking time too much.

That said, our grocer does regularly carry shanks, and neck bones, so I suppose I should give these a try soon someday. In particular I've been kind of interested in doing an asian style pork broth with the neck bones, using some fresh ginger, cilantro, garlic, and onions.

My attempts at vegetable stock have been largely abysmal. What I wind up with looks more like dirty water with sediment in it - the solids left behind in the broth all tend go clump together in the bottom of the mason jars I'm storing the stock in - and it looks rather unappetizing. Flavor wise, it's never worth the trouble either.

We do it almost every day because I live with my two nephews and they love soup. We make pork, beef, and chicken stock. We use the chicken stock to cook carbonara or pancit. I discovered that if you want to have tasty/savory beef stock, you should use the bones and cooked over low fire for hours. You can also use charcoal!

Back
Top Bottom