Has anyone else ever made Soup Stock Before?

I've made chicken stock before. However, the stock wasn't for chicken noodle soup. I'd made it in order to make an attempt at making egg drop soup. It actually took quite a long time before I figured out how to do it right. I think I had to add corn starch or something along those lines to thicken the stock so the soup wouldn't be overly watery.

Mmmmmm, I love egg drop soup and just had a bowl of it last week. I would love to try making my own pot of it at some point in my life.

I make my own chicken stock all of the time. I save up veggie scraps in a bag in the freezer and then make the stock when I have a whole chicken frame to boil down. I simply put the frame and the bag off veggies in a pot of water and let it boil for a couple hours. Herbs and spices go into the pot too, but I normally just put whatever I have on hand in.

I like making stocks and always save my bones from chicken, beef roasts and pork roasts. I always have a bag of vegie trimmings from carrots, onions, ect in the freezer, too. We call chicken stock "liquid gold" at my house because it can be used for so many things. I use my stocks in gravies, stews and soups as well as for cooking rice to give it extra flavour.

I like making stocks and always save my bones from chicken, beef roasts and pork roasts. I always have a bag of vegie trimmings from carrots, onions, ect in the freezer, too. We call chicken stock "liquid gold" at my house because it can be used for so many things. I use my stocks in gravies, stews and soups as well as for cooking rice to give it extra flavour.
I have not used my own stock to make gravy, but I would like to try this out. One chicken frame and veggie scraps yields me about 4 large mason jars of fresh stock that I then put in the freezer until I am really to use it. It really is liquid gold because this amount of stock would cost at least $10 at the grocery store and I make mine for pennies.

When I used to live and work in a farm we used all the parts of a pig, chicken or cow. Making broths were a part of it too as certain bones and other inedible body parts are added into a big cauldron to make the broth. It was an amazing organic farm and these were one of the products they sold. I only use the pre-made broth from this company due to knowing how it was made.

Back
Top Bottom