Have you ever made a dump cake?

• Yes - I love making dump cakes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
7:37 PM
Connie Mitchell (the face of many made-for-TV products) has a new book out about dump cooking. Until I saw her on the Steve Harvey talk show recently, I had never heard of dump cooking. She showed the audience how to make a dump cake made of only cherries, chocolate cake mix and cherry coke soda.

Have any of you ever made a dump cake?

2078_DUMP_CAKES.jpg

So I'm guessing the idea behind "dump" cooking is that you dump whatever you have in the freezer or the pantry in to the recipe and see what happens?

If yes, I do it all the time. I call these meals "Leftovers Soup" or "Leftovers enchiladas," etc.

I've never had anything not work, to be honest. I even make "dump" pancakes where I'll blend small portions of ripe veggies in with the batter (like zucchini or pumpkin or whatever). It is a great way to use up little pieces of food that would otherwise get thrown out or composted.

One of my favorite things is to freeze the stems of broccoli (when you buy it whole and fresh and just pick off the heads). Most people toss the stems, but actually, the stem is full of flavor. I cut off any nubs and freeze it, either chopped or whole, and end up putting it in soup or pot pie. Always good and a great way to get more for your money on produce.

Back
Top Bottom