Has anyone every stolen one of your recipes?

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
6:19 AM
I have specific family recipes for certain foods. One of them is how to fry chicken. A friend visited one day and watched me go through the process of frying my chicken. Later on she copied me and claimed the recipe as her own.

Now - her actions weren't a deal breaker as far as our friendship, but it was a bit weird.

Great to know that such issue didn't break your friendship because I know many people develop personal recipes which are jealously treasured.

However I haven't found myself in such a situation having someone stealing a recipe that later would claim is hers, probably because my circle of friends is very reduced and I don't use to share recipes with anyone but my mom and sister.

Based on my own experience whenever I invite some of my friends and relatives at home when there is a family gathering I always share cooking some recipes aside from my mother and sister menus who are both good cooks. Whenever they knew that a certain dish is the one that I cooked then they will try to copy my recipes and I always gladly share it to them. It is up to them if they will claim it to other people that it is their recipe as long as I know I share to somebody my skills in cooking. There is no big issue regarding this matter to me.

Would it have been that hard for her to simply say something like "my friend showed me this great recipe for chicken the other day..." - that's what I would have a problem with in particular. I've been burned by coworkers doing stuff like this to me, having closed door meetings with my bosses, then parroting everything I told them as if they came up with the ideas, and taking credit for all my work. All this has done has made me less trustworthy of everyone around me.

I've even seen TV celebrity chefs do this. One one episode of The Chew, Michael Symon completely ripped off a cooking technique for making scrambled eggs that Gordon Ramsay had done years prior. Coincidentally I had just seen the old Gordon Ramsay clip on Youtube like a week before I saw the Micheal Symon segment on The Chew - it was a complete verbatim recreation of Gordon's, almost like he was reading off the same cue cards.

At least two of my recipes have been stolen..... One by a celebrity TV chef... I made the mistake of posting my original recipe on the forum boards attached to his website. And a magazine writer not only stole another one of my recipes, he copied and pasted if from one of my internet postings and when he had it included in his book the proof reader missed both my spelling and grammar mistake!.

Last edited:
At least two of my recipes have been stolen..... One by a celebrity TV chef... I made the mistake of posting my original recipe on the forum boards attached to his website. And a magazine writer not only stole another one of my recipes, he copied and pasted if from one of my internet postings and when he had it included in his book the proof reader missed both my spelling and grammar mistake!.

Oh my gosh Gareth what did you do about these situations? Were you able to prove it or did you even try? I think I would have been very upset about this.

I have never had one of my recipes stolen but I also don't really include lots of people in on my cooking time. I have a small kitchen and I work better alone in the kitchen than I do with lots of people in my way.

True2marie

I have been lucky to not have my recipes stolen, then again, I may not be that great a cook to have them stolen in the firs place. However, my friends do like few of the dishes that I make and they do recreate it. Few of the times they did it better than mine and I ended up taking tips from them.

So, no stealing here but harmonious sharing.

Thankfully no. I'm not protective over any of my recipes and would openly share them with friends and family members. However, in saying that if a friend tried to pass off a family recipe as her own, I'd be worried that her deception wasn't a one off and that she may not be a trust worthy person in general.

Back
Top Bottom