Has anyone made plans for Thanksgiving yet?

We haven't. We'll probably stay home, just us two, though.

We haven't. We'll probably stay home, just us two, though.

I envy you. I will be joining my family at mom's and dad's house, where we will eat the same dinner we ate 50 years ago. The bird will be overcooked, the sides will be bland, and I will have a list of things to repair while I am there.

Back when I was still married, the wife and I, with a few friends, would make some amazing Thanksgiving meals.

CD

I envy you. I will be joining my family at mom's and dad's house, where we will eat the same dinner we ate 50 years ago. The bird will be overcooked, the sides will be bland, and I will have a list of things to repair while I am there.

Back when I was still married, the wife and I, with a few friends, would make some amazing Thanksgiving meals.

CD

Lol, my mum used to cook Xmas for all us many years ago, I remember one Xmas I joked saying the veges tasted like dirt, well she exploded and said I'm not cooking Xmas any more. She really exploded. I guess she was under pressure and my quip was too much. I took over every Xmas after that. Then she enjoyed Xmas lunch. She passed 21 years ago. We really miss her!!

Russ

caseydog So, I got side tracked, we don't celebrate it here, although some restaurants advertise it as a celebration. We have a large murican Air Force base here in Chch. It's the link to Antarctica. Operation deep freeze, I remember growing up with their planes flying over.

Russ

Lol, my mum used to cook Xmas for all us many years ago, I remember one Xmas I joked saying the veges tasted like dirt, well she exploded and said I'm not cooking Xmas any more. She really exploded. I guess she was under pressure and my quip was too much. I took over every Xmas after that. Then she enjoyed Xmas lunch. She passed 21 years ago. We really miss her!!

Russ

Oh, I don't dare talk down about mom's cooking. I remember helping my sister clean way overcooked fish off the kitchen wall after sis called it "mushy" (which it was).

However, she has come to like my cooking, and want's me to cook Mother's Day dinner every year. I have to sneak some ingredients (like butter) into the house and have dad or my sister keep her busy while I cook. :whistling:

CD

caseydog So, I got side tracked, we don't celebrate it here, although some restaurants advertise it as a celebration. We have a large murican Air Force base here in Chch. It's the link to Antarctica. Operation deep freeze, I remember growing up with their planes flying over.

Russ

Yeah, our Thanksgiving is a Mercan thing. Some other countries have one, although on a different day.

More contries should adopt it, because...

1. It is a day off from work
2. You get to stuff yourself with three days worth of food
3. You get to sit on the couch and watch sports all day (in Merica, it is football)

CD

CD
Oh, I appreciate it. We won't even make a big deal out of it, just a few simple traditional things, but it'll be quiet.

We sometimes go to one of my wife's relatives, and it's very noisy...sooooo noisy. Our other option is my sister's - let's just say, the last time we went there, she beat up a sis-in-law. Great thanksgiving. 😒

Oh, I don't dare talk down about mom's cooking. I remember helping my sister clean way overcooked fish off the kitchen wall after sis called it "mushy" (which it was).

However, she has come to like my cooking, and want's me to cook Mother's Day dinner every year. I have to sneak some ingredients (like butter) into the house and have dad or my sister keep her busy while I cook. :whistling:

CD

That's absolutely brilliant. You're licky to still have your mum n dad. Very lucky!!

Russ

Yeah, our Thanksgiving is a Mercan thing. Some other countries have one, although on a different day.

3. You get to sit on the couch and watch sports all day (in Merica, it is football)

CD

Yeah I hear all about it on other sites as well. We get plenty of public holidays as well. :)

Russ

Another turkey on the Egg, dressing and haven't decided on anything else except absolutely no pumpkin anything. Can't stand the stuff.

CD

The first two items are positives about the holiday.

I usually join friends (family isn't in the area these days), and we hang out, talk, and eat, NO TV involved.

I'll either make a bone-in turkey breast or a small whole turkey, and I may spatchcock it, I don't know yet.

I know I'll make stuffing/dressing, because that's my favorite, and mashed potatoes, because that's the wife's favorite, and gravy, of course.

After that, probably just one other side veg, bread, and then dessert. We've already had pumpkin pie, so I may get out of that (even though the one we had was store-bought), and I'm making an apple pie today, so by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, maybe it'll be pecan, or a nice custard pie of some sort.

Personally, Thanksgiving is always a let-down of sorts - even for a small meal, you work quite a bit, then sit down and eat and you're done in 20 minutes.

I'd prefer to just go out. We've done that a couple of times, but it's really overpriced and low on the quality. We've also purchased pre-made meals from the local grocer's, and those always come with stuff we don't like and misses stuff we do like.

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but we do Halloween/Samhain because we're pagans. That includes eating a lot of the same kinds of foods you see with Thanksgiving.

I usually make an apple pie, pumpkin soup and a roasted chicken with cranberry sauce (Turkey is really hard to get around here when it's not Christmas).

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but we do Halloween/Samhain because we're pagans. That includes eating a lot of the same kinds of foods you see with Thanksgiving.

I usually make an apple pie, pumpkin soup and a roasted chicken with cranberry sauce (Turkey is really hard to get around here when it's not Christmas).

I'd never heard of Samhain so I just learned something!

Back
Top Bottom