Hash browns (cooking methods)

pocofan

Local time
12:29 AM
I can’t make skillet hash browns to save my soul. I’ve tried and everytime they suck. Last night almost burnt but still not done. I tried a lower heat. HELP I need advice. It is driving me crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hash browns from fresh potatoes is one of those things that seems like it should be easy, but there's a little trickery involved.

Some tips:

1. Shred the potatoes and then rinse them until the water runs clear, 3-5 times. You want as much of that starch out as possible.

2. Drain them, put them in a tea towel and squeeze the life out of them. When you can't squeeze any longer...squeeze a little longer. You want them dry as a bone.

3. Spread them on paper towels on a plate and microwave them just a bit, I usually go about 90 seconds. Par-cooking them this way will help speed things up in the skillet later.

4 (and this is one of those frustrating ones). Use enough oil/bacon grease/clarified butter, but not too much. Too little, they'll burn and stick. Too much, they're a greasy mess. I just eyeball it, but maybe 3-4 TB for a 10-12in skillet.

This might help:

7 Tips for Crispy, Totally-Not-Soggy-at-All, Hash Browns

That said, I have better luck with frozen pre-shredded potatoes, so I use those about half the time.

I generally use the Ore-Ida frozen shredded potatoes. It seems they do all the rinsing and squeezing for you by machine. They may be par cooked -- their french fries are.

I always use a cast iron pan. I use butter for my fat.

If I were to shred my potatoes from raw, I believe I would par cook them before doing my final pan fry. TR's microwave suggestion sounds good.

CD

I can’t make skillet hash browns to save my soul. I’ve tried and everytime they suck. Last night almost burnt but still not done. I tried a lower heat. HELP I need advice. It is driving me crazy.

I cheat and use a frozen product that is really good.

full.jpg

These are (I figure) partially cooked), but in truth, getting good browned hash browns depends upon how you fry them up, the temperature and for how long, and what you use for frying, oil or butter. If you don't mind the calories and want the deeper color and flavor, use real butter. Else, oil will work, but the color will be lighter.

You can also deep fry hash browns to create hash brown cakes; and let's not forget air frying. Microwaving pre-cooked hash browns, like the Ora-Ida product will get them warm and edible, but not toasty.

Believe me, I went on about an eight-month journey with hash browns. Mine were as bad as bad could get: gummy, grey, and greasy. All those steps above helps avoid all that.

I also use the frozen ones a lot, and when I do, I frequently cook them in my waffle iron, and they're great that way, and easy.

I generally use the Ore-Ida frozen shredded potatoes. It seems they do all the rinsing and squeezing for you by machine. They may be par cooked -- their french fries are.

I always use a cast iron pan. I use butter for my fat.

If I were to shred my potatoes from raw, I believe I would par cook them before doing my final pan fry. TR's microwave suggestion sounds good.

CD
if they're par-boiled, they don't shred well.....been there done that . . .

Believe me, I went on about an eight-month journey with hash browns. Mine were as bad as bad could get: gummy, grey, and greasy. All those steps above helps avoid all that.

I also use the frozen ones a lot, and when I do, I frequently cook them in my waffle iron, and they're great that way, and easy.

Shheeez. I don't have a waffle iron - and I don't have one of those George Forman home grills, either.

Maybe I need to look into both.

Back
Top Bottom