Have to share our latest project for drinks in our house!

martinoaro

Local time
6:19 AM
Website
www.allrecipesonline.com
Long post, but wanted to share our creation and progress on a new Kegerator setup.

So, maybe others here are the same, but I'm a huge seltzer water drinker. I will drink plain water if I need, but whenever I have a preference it has to be fizzy! :dance:
I had tried stocking up on drinks like La Croix, Bubly, etc. when on sale, but I was going through them pretty quickly....went to 2 liter bottles of Seltzer from the store, but it became a pain trying to lug multiple of these home each week and the store doesn't stock many so a lot of time they were out of stock or running low. Next up was the Soda stream machines, but going through those skinny canisters quite quickly turned out to be more expensive than any of the other solutions.
Enter the idea for seltzer water out of a kegerator! We've never been into home brewing or had any interest but somehow in a search for cheaper alternatives for seltzer water, this idea came about across my screen.

One used kegerator off of Facebook marketplace later - $150, plus many more parts to accommodate the need for me to have seltzer and my partner to have beer once he realized there would be a kegerator in the house :giggle: and a ton of stress, troubleshooting, buying/ returning parts and frustration over a few week period, and I'm happy to say I now have seltzer water on tap in my house!

I'll post photos and steps if anyone else is interested in this but essentially we were able to take a single kegerator, turn it into a double kegerator with a larger CO2 tank, new dual regulator, a new corny keg (refillable for water) and many, many parts in fittings, tubing and connectors. So, while it may have cost me all in all about $300-400 to get it completely setup, I now have seltzer water on demand at only a cost of about $30 a month to refill the CO2, and we've always got beer on tap for the SO and friends at a much cheaper price than buying cases/ cans or bottles of beer when needed and storing it.

So, now tell me if anyone else has been in the same situation, or do you have a home kegerator/ home brewing setup too? Please tell me we're not the only ones that struggled with this whole idea from the beginning...although the positive outcome is we learned a lot! :D

Home beer brewer here.
I use an 8 ltr oxebar (pet/plastic) keg with picnic tap.
Fill with water, carbonate and put the whole thing in my fridge.

But only since I changed into kegging my homebrew (about a year ago)

I did homebrew for many years, but never to a keg, only bottles.

What on earth is a kegerator? Sorry, never heard of one so I can't really help you.
Beer kegs, under pressure, combined with a fridge to keep them cold, popular in home bars:

1710960800114.jpeg

Wikipedia

A lot of people use the smaller soda pop containers for that as well, have three or four set up, and have a proper draft beer setup at home.

Home beer brewer here.
I use an 8 ltr oxebar (pet/plastic) keg with picnic tap.
Fill with water, carbonate and put the whole thing in my fridge.

But only since I changed into kegging my homebrew (about a year ago)
Nice to meet ya! Here’s our setup.

Whoops images too big. Will have to reupload from computer.

Never realized so many people didn’t know what a kegerator was lol
So many options for those looking to dispense beer at home, or in my case using one tap for seltzer in a much cheaper manner than other options and the other for beer.

Trying to upload photos.
Here we go- first photo shows the 2 kegs. One on left is refillable keg for tap water, right keg is full of beer. Right behind these is a co2 tank and regulator to force carbonation into the kegs that then comes out the tap on the top in 2nd photo.

IMG_6893.jpeg IMG_6894.jpeg

Last edited:
Never realized so many people didn’t know what a kegerator was lol
One of the best things about the forum is our wonderfully international membership, which leads to some good exchanges while working out terminology differences.

I think a kegerator might be sold as a caskerator in the UK, but I’m not sure. I’ll have to go look that up.

Trying to upload photos.
One option is to use the Media Gallery, which allows larger pics, and allows them to be added to posts across the forum, though it’s admittedly a little extra work. It also allows you to include more than six images in a post, if you’re pic-happy.

I usually attach pics directly to a post for one-time use, and use the gallery for things I’m likely to post more than once. If you’re bumping your head over it, feel free to PM me and I’ll help if I can.

One of the best things about the forum is our wonderfully international membership, which leads to some good exchanges while working out terminology differences.

I think a kegerator might be sold as a caskerator in the UK, but I’m not sure. I’ll have to go look that up.

One option is to use the Media Gallery, which allows larger pics, and allows them to be added to posts across the forum, though it’s admittedly a little extra work. It also allows you to include more than six images in a post, if you’re pic-happy.

I usually attach pics directly to a post for one-time use, and use the gallery for things I’m likely to post more than once. If you’re bumping your head over it, feel free to PM me and I’ll help if I can.

A caskerator? 😂
Sounds like a painful veterinary procedure 😝

A caskerator? 😂
Sounds like a painful veterinary procedure 😝
I did a little digging, not exactly the same thing, but sort of…it’s a separate unit that works along with a kegerator, used to dispense cask ales - sold by (and partly developed by) UK Brewing Supplies.

I knew I’d heard the term somewhere!

I did a little digging, not exactly the same thing, but sort of…it’s a separate unit that works along with a kegerator, used to dispense cask ales - sold by (and partly developed by) UK Brewing Supplies.

I knew I’d heard the term somewhere!
Had little peek. It is a weird site, the prices are in dollars, the temps in Fahrenheit and theres a bit about being able to buy genuine imported British pint glasses. It also when you click on delivery and returns show me a blank page. Not 100% on it tbh.

Had little peek. It is a weird site, the prices are in dollars, the temps in Fahrenheit and theres a bit about being able to buy genuine imported British pint glasses. It also when you click on delivery and returns show me a blank page. Not 100% on it tbh.
I watched a little video on it, from UK Brewing Supplies, but it was 10 years old. Maybe the fizz went out.

martinoaro - you need on so you can start a real ale seltzer movement in the US! :wink:

I watched a little video on it, from UK Brewing Supplies, but it was 10 years old. Maybe the fizz went out.

martinoaro - you need on so you can start a real ale seltzer movement in the US! :wink:
lol I think there is already. I found out about the idea from other home brewers that use kegs for seltzer, just took quite a bit of work, learning and effort to get it setup properly.

Ahhh, now I know why I haven't heard of it/them.
I'm a Real Ale man, so my beer would be delivered by a "beer engine", ie, gravity.
It would be consumed by a beer machine, of course, ie. me. :laugh: :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom