Have you ever considered using onion powder?

Local time
8:28 AM
Onions are something that most of us use on a daily basis in our cooking. Before using an onion, it first has to be peeled, washed and then sliced or diced. Onion powder can be a good substitute when one is pressed for time or would prefer not to have to go through the process of peeling and slicing the onion.

I do not remember ever using onion powder, but while watching a Youtube video the other day, I saw the chef dash in some onion powder into what he was cooking, and he said that makes his cooking easier and quicker. It instantly gave me the idea that instead of spending so much time slicing and dicing onions, I could use onion powder. It should do the same job as the actual onion itself. I know of some people who say they like onion, but would prefer not to see it in their food. I do not have a problem with that, but for these people, using onion powder would be a good alternative. I use powdered ginger most of the time, so I may also try the onion powder one of these days and see how it goes. I can always alternate between the powder and the actual onion itself.

I have used onion powder in the past. My children like the flavour of onion but they don't like the texture of onions so when they were living at home I would use onion powder instead of putting onions in what I was cooking. That way they could enjoy the flavor without having to pick the onions out of their food.

I use onion powder all the time. I like to season meats with the powders, and add the sliced/chopped onion to the dish to cook with the meat if braising so that it flavors the gravy/jus too.

I use onion powder all the time. I like to season meats with the powders, and add the sliced/chopped onion to the dish to cook with the meat if braising so that it flavors the gravy/jus too.

I'm much the same, I love it to season meats - I often use garlic powder and onion powder since they're just easy for a flavor hit!

I have a separate shaker in my pantry with garlic powder and onion powder mixed together. Any roast or marinating I'm doing usually has onion powder in it. Onions are a staple in our household.. my boyfriend even eats them raw. We have them as is, pickled, grilled, braised, fried, tempura style, slow cooked... almost every method under the sun. So it makes sense that we use the powder too!

I also use onion powder often. I still use fresh onions and often in the same dish with powder! Same with garlic powder. I can't get enough of either of those!! I even use dehydrated onions in some cases. I like to use them when making broth and I am in a rush with not much time to cut up veggies. I also like to use them in 'taco' meat (which is sometimes meat and sometimes rice, lentils, quinoa or a mixture of those). It makes it seem more like the taco meat from a seasoning pack, which I find that most folks enjoy.

I am trying to remember if I ever bought it but feel sure I have seen it in my country. I am such a big onion lover I know I am always going to prefer my whole onions. After reading about it here I just might pick up a bottle of powder if I see it whenever I see it again.

Onions are something that most of us use on a daily basis in our cooking. Before using an onion, it first has to be peeled, washed and then sliced or diced. Onion powder can be a good substitute when one is pressed for time or would prefer not to have to go through the process of peeling and slicing the onion.

I do not remember ever using onion powder, but while watching a Youtube video the other day, I saw the chef dash in some onion powder into what he was cooking, and he said that makes his cooking easier and quicker. It instantly gave me the idea that instead of spending so much time slicing and dicing onions, I could use onion powder. It should do the same job as the actual onion itself. I know of some people who say they like onion, but would prefer not to see it in their food. I do not have a problem with that, but for these people, using onion powder would be a good alternative. I use powdered ginger most of the time, so I may also try the onion powder one of these days and see how it goes. I can always alternate between the powder and the actual onion itself.

I DO use onion powder. Garlic powder as well. :wink:

I have used onion powder and well various spices in powder. Even if powder spices also increase the taste of our food, however, there is no match with the fresh spices. Chopped onion makes better food compared to powdered onion.

Garlic & onion powders come in 2 forms; granulated & pure powder form.

I tried using the pure powdered form and didn't like it because in time, it would cake up and become all hard! :wink:

Last edited:
@Shermie My powders get hard after a while too. Especially when I pour it over a steaming pot! I keep some in a smallish shaker and keep the rest sealed up and it seems to help. Even when some gets hard I am usually able to crumble it up with my hand or the back of a spoon. The taste seems so much yummier than the granules to me, but that might just be me!

I have been using onion and garlic powder for a long time. I don't like to use the onion or garlic salts as they add more salt to the food you are cooking. The dried onions are also a favorite of mine, something I have in the cabinet all the time.

I've never come across it here in the UK. I imagine it could be useful though and probably more pungent because it will be concentrated. I'll have to have a look and see if its sold here.

Mostly all of the dishes I cook have onion powder and garlic powder in addition to the real thing. I come from a background of heavily seasoned food. We don't overdo it, just enough to make the dish truly unique. It's an essential staple in our house that I welcome all to try. Onion powder is cheap and effective.

@Shermie My powders get hard after a while too. Especially when I pour it over a steaming pot! I keep some in a smallish shaker and keep the rest sealed up and it seems to help. Even when some gets hard I am usually able to crumble it up with my hand or the back of a spoon. The taste seems so much yummier than the granules to me, but that might just be me!

That's it!

It is the moisture from the steam that gets inside the container!

I did not realize this before. Then after using it, the trapped moisture remains inside the container until the next time that it is used over a boiling or steaming pot.
It then begins to harden. Try using granulated garlic or onion powder.

Back
Top Bottom