Have you ever cooked with coffee, and would you ?

CoffeeTalk

Veteran
Local time
10:27 PM
So there it is, have you ever cooked with coffee ,and would you even think to do so?
I love coffee, so much that I have traveled the world to find the best coffee, and on my travels I have come across a few very interesting recipe's with coffee, and I have even made a few myself.

Is it any stranger to use coffee than, wine, beer or vinegar? I don't think so , and in the same way as wine or beer its not only the flavor that can help you in the cooking but also the different parts of the coffee that can help to soften , break down or even enhance certain traits in your other ingredients.
If you soak your meat in coffee like with beer it will help break down the fibers and make it easier to cook and break apart.

I've never personally used it aside from a few desserts, but my aunts have some stew recipes that use it. I don't think they add that much that it becomes noticeable though as I've never really tasted coffee in any of the savory dishes they prepare but I guess if you try hard enough you'll notice subtle hints.

Well I am not that great a coffee drinker, but I do drink it at times...very rarely actually. I can picture cookies or cake with a coffee flavour though, but not savoury dishes. In fact I believe I have tasted cake with a coffee flavour before. When it comes to cooking anything with coffee added to it, however, I have never even given this a thought. Since I do not buy coffee on a regular basis, I doubt whether I would try it in savoury dishes any time soon. If, however, I was dining at a friend's house, and they were serving dinner that was prepared with added coffee, I would not refuse it.

I have never tried coffee in a meat dish, but I can imagine that black coffee could add a richness to the meat.

My later mother often used to make the most delicious coffee cake. She used instant coffee as an ingredient for four layers of cake which were then placed on top of each other and eheld together with coffee icing, plus a generous layer of coffee icing on top. I have never eaten any other cake quite as good.

I used coffee instead of water in cookies once because I wanted to make a chocolate and coffee flavor. It was pretty good. I have never done much with coffee in food, because I don't want to be consuming caffeine in the evenings. It does taste really good though.

So there it is, have you ever cooked with coffee ,and would you even think to do so?
I love coffee, so much that I have traveled the world to find the best coffee, and on my travels I have come across a few very interesting recipe's with coffee, and I have even made a few myself.

Is it any stranger to use coffee than, wine, beer or vinegar? I don't think so , and in the same way as wine or beer its not only the flavor that can help you in the cooking but also the different parts of the coffee that can help to soften , break down or even enhance certain traits in your other ingredients.
If you soak your meat in coffee like with beer it will help break down the fibers and make it easier to cook and break apart.
I have never cooked with coffee but since coffee in technically a bean, I don't see a problem with cooking with coffee. I wouldn't know where to begin with cooking a coffee bean, and outside of baking, I haven't had anything with coffee in it.

Ground coffee is good to rub on steaks. It gives the steaks a nice earthy flavor and does help to soften them up a bit. It is best used on steak cuts that are tougher in nature, like a round steak. You would think that the coffee would make the steak gritty, but it does not give it this texture at all.

I am a coffee lover through and through, I haven't used it in cooking though except for deserts. That would be quite interesting to try.

I have never thought to use coffee in cooking, other than cakes and cookies. I imagine that it could be good in some kind of beef casserole, used in the same way that ale is used. It could work in a hot chilli con carne too. I want to find some recipes now!

I have use coffee in my baking but i can't remember ever using it when cooking any of my meals however if i do come across a recipe that have coffee incorporated and it's to my liking i would definitely give it a try.

I always use strong brewed coffee when I'm making an au jus for beef sandwiches. Usually I'll get one of those packs of Au Jus powder mix at the grocery store and then add the coffee as I prepare it. It just adds a little extra flavor.

Oh my goodness the minute I read cooking with coffee my heart skipped a beat. I love coffee so much that I could live on it.
I however haven't tried cooking with it and from what I've been reading those who have tried that cooking technique find it rewarding and easy to do.

I will most definitely try cooking with coffee as soon as I knock off and see how that will pan out. Although I have no doubt that I will enjoy every moment of it.

Back
Top Bottom