Have you ever made your own rice cakes or crackers?

pattyk

Veteran
Local time
7:55 PM
I've often thought about making crackers to have with cheese; the recipes seem simple enough so I should be ok. But I suppose what I really want to know is whether making your own crackers and/or rice cakes is worth the effort, or are they one of those things that are best bought ready made?

And what about rice cakes? Has anyone here ever made their own, and if so, do you have some recipes you could share?

If you are talking about the exapanded rice that makes up those lightweight low calorie rice cakes, I am not even certain it is possible to make them at home.
This explains how they are made. http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Rice-Cake.html
fotolia_8334344_XS.jpg

I have not and I don't know if you can make things like that at home. I have seen recipes for wheat crackers, which I don't eat anyway, but I have never seen a recipe for rice cakes or rice crackers. I don't think it is possible to puff rice without large equipment that you would not have at home. I think it requires a lot of heat. You might be able to make a cracker type thing with rice flour, but I am not familiar with any recipes.

I thought so. I've trawled the internet, and there are plenty of recipes for rice cakes, but not the puffed rice variety. I found a few experimental videos on YouTube for how to puff rice at home, but to be honest, I don't think it's worth investing the time. Thanks for your help anyway :)

The crackers on the other hand, I've found some lovely recipes - starting with this one:

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/poppy-and-sesame-seed-crackers/

Rice cake is very cheap here so we don't bother making it at home. But when I was younger, I had experimented with it. The main ingredient is glutinous rice that is milled with water so it becomes like a dough. From what I remember, salt was added and anise. Next is the molding with the use of tin cups (small pie pans actually) that becomes the vessel. Baked in the oven for 20 minutes (not really sure of the time) the rice cake is done. But the texture was not that good and the taste is bland, hahahaaa. That's a neat lesson not to bake rice cake anymore.

I've never made rice cakes and it's unlikely I will. As it relates to crackers that would be something I would like to have under my belt but I think I might be a long way off.

I've often thought about making crackers to have with cheese; the recipes seem simple enough so I should be ok. But I suppose what I really want to know is whether making your own crackers and/or rice cakes is worth the effort, or are they one of those things that are best bought ready made?

And what about rice cakes? Has anyone here ever made their own, and if so, do you have some recipes you could share?
I would enjoy learning how to make my own rice cakes. I have to eat gluten free, and learning how to make rice cakes would help me want to find even more ways to enjoy eating gluten free.

I would never bother with making rice cakes. I haven't had one for years. I just always thought they were rather tasteless. Even the flavored ones, aren't really that good in my opinion. I like things like pop chips and Special K snack crackers better. They are similar, but are designed like potato chips and have more flavor than rice cakes in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom