Have you ever sent an embarrassing text or email?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:03 AM
You know that feeling. You click on 'send' and you can't delete it! Or perhaps you wake up the next day and discover you accidentally sent that message to the wrong person. That is exactly what I did - I'll tell you about it if you tell me your story! My story is totally mortifyingly. :oops: :laugh:

We are phone users when it comes to family or dear dear friends.

Emails: We receive over 75 a day, so this is office business and no, never have sent anything embarrassing or out of protocol business wise ..

I once sent an email to a person with the same name as my partner. It wasn't particularly embarrassing in terms of the content; all I wrote was a quick note suggesting I meet her at Waverley station in Edinburgh. Unfortunately, I clicked on the name of a woman who worked for the same company as me. She was based in Galway (Ireland). Thankfully, she was very good about it and replied that it was very nice of me to offer, but she doubted her ability to get from the west of Ireland to the east of Scotland in the next hour or so.

This is what I did. I sent a very 'sexy' text to my man friend. I used to own a UVA sun bed at the time and the text began with the following, "Lying naked on my sun bed thinking of you." I can't tell you the rest of the content of this text here as it would contravene forum rules!

It wasn't until the next day that I realised that I'd accidentally sent the text to a female colleague - a woman who was hired by my University to lead staff development events. There was an event the following week which I had to attend. Neither of us mentioned anything but I'm sure she kept looking at me in an odd way.

This isn't anything to do with email, but it is to do with the very same woman (not the Galway one) mentioned in my post above. We were at Cork airport one day waiting for a flight and there came an announcement requesting that [name withheld] come to the telephone at the front desk as soon as possible. The name was that of my partner and we had a moment of panic thinking that something awful might have happened.

When we got to the desk, we encountered no less than three other women there, all of whom had the very same name. This, I suppose, is the drawback of having a very common Irish name. The telephone call was for one of the others and happily, proved to be nothing more than someone calling to ask her a favour while she was at the airport.

I have sent a WhatsApp message which was probably innocent but it had lots of kisses in, to our staff group instead of to an individual person. Luckily several other staff members have also sent things to the group by mistake.
I sent a messsge to my daughter saying I was waiting outside for her but sent it to another person in my contacts with the same first name. They went outside and were puzzled that there was no one there.
Those are the only ones that I know about :whistling:

I have sent a WhatsApp message which was probably innocent but it had lots of kisses in, to our staff group instead of to an individual person. Luckily several other staff members have also sent things to the group by mistake.
I sent a messsge to my daughter saying I was waiting outside for her but sent it to another person in my contacts with the same first name. They went outside and were puzzled that there was no one there.
Those are the only ones that I know about :whistling:
I am very wary about using WhatsApp. In spite of what they say about how secure their site is, a friend of mine once sent me a message which was not only received by me, but was also received by a contact in a private group I belonged to. My friend had never even heard of the group, and the contact did not know my friend. The message was quite innocuous but could have been misconstrued in another situation. I did complain to WhatsApp but they said it was impossible for someone else to receive the message. Even a screenshot did not convince them.
The only time I sent a message to the wrong person which could have proved embarrassing, it was to my old manager instead of a friend at work. Luckily my manager was not in her office and I managed to recall the message as soon as I realised. I was replying to my friend's message having a really good moan about our manager!

I was reminded of a story that illustrates how miscommunication was happening long before emails and text messages. A friend of mine ended up with a slightly different name than the one that the parents had given her because the registrar misread my friend's father's handwriting. Her name was meant to be Suzette, but her father used to write the letter z to look rather like a 3. The upshot was that the registrar mistakenly recorded it as Susette. Of course, the recipient of the name was oblivious to all this and rather liked her name because it was slightly unusual, though she was generally known as Susie to her friends.

Damned automatical corrections....
Once I was in a hurry for a commercial so I've sent a whatsapp message to an adv uk casting manager starting with :" Dead Mary (instead of Dear Mary) how are you?....." etc..
Fortunately she is a very nice person and replied "not yet , I'm fine for the moment"
:laugh:

Last edited:
Damned automatical corrections....
Once I was in a hurry for a commercial so I've sent a whatsapp message to an adv casting manager starting with :" Dead Mary (instead of Dear Mary) how are you?....." etc..
Fortunately she is a very nice person and replied "not yet , I'm fine for the moment"
:laugh:

@MypinchofItaly

Ha Ha Ha !!!!

Have a lovely day ..

Back
Top Bottom