Have you ever used this before?

We used to. Then, our electric can opener was short-lived. Then, back to the traditioanal can opener. Good muscle exercise too.

The Swiss Army knife has the same action ,gets easier with repeated use!
Yep, I just tend to forget because I don't use many canned goods anymore at home and prefer tetra pack passata or tomatoes when I am out on tour cycling, with tetra being at that little bit lighter and more convenient shape for putting in a pannier, not to mention flatter when it comes to carrying it somewhere to a bin!

Yep, I just tend to forget because I don't use many canned goods anymore at home and prefer tetra pack passata or tomatoes when I am out on tour cycling, with tetra being at that little bit lighter and more convenient shape for putting in a pannier, not to mention flatter when it comes to carrying it somewhere to a bin!
I had A way of dealing with rubbish ,I would open tins on getting the ration pack ,thus letting the stores keep them for recycling! basically put the contents in a zipp lock bag or similar and then reheat latter or my saver if on operations was to put the bag in my jacket and let my body heat it ,never gets that hot but when needs must
On waste I have a cousin that deals with waste in the navy at sea,very interesting ,or maybe something we never consider

I remember having one of these can openers as a child. They look a little dangerous now that we have improved and safer products to use to open cans.

In the UK a lot of cans no longer need a can opener at all. They have a ring pull which when used removes the lid for you. It's hard to explain but the mechanism is similar to that of a can of coke, but the entire lid comes off in your hands and removes the need for any can/tin openers at all. 3 of the tins here have this system. Once you have mastered it, it works really well and there are even tools now to help the elderly use these options which are safer than a tin opener imo.

untitled.png

In the UK a lot of cans no longer need a can opener at all. They have a ring pull which when used removes the lid for you. It's hard to explain but the mechanism is similar to that of a can of coke, but the entire lid comes off in your hands and removes the need for any can/tin openers at all. 3 of the tins here have this system. Once you have mastered it, it works really well and there are even tools now to help the elderly use these options which are safer than a tin opener imo.

View attachment 982
Economy Class Injuries when their use became widespread through stores own branded items.

Now if you only knew what was in a tomato!

Yes I still remembered the first time I saw this kind of can opener in my grandparents when I was still a kid. And we are also using this at home during those times. And yes it is dangerous to use and you must be careful when using this because it can harm your fingers. But now we are not using this anymore and we are using a different one that is more safer and easy to use.

I have one of these on my swiss army knife. We always use it when we go camping to open up the cans. As a child, my parents had the same on that is shown in the picture. It was always with us when we went on our picnics and camping trips. They are a handle device to have.

I have been using this type of opener for many years now, and I find it works well. As long as it is not allowed to rust, this type of opener can last really long. We have had some before which would rust after a period of time, but this was because of not drying them after use and storing them in a dry place. So the one which I now have, I make a point of wiping it off after washing it, and storing it in one of the cupboards. I have had it for a long time now.

I do prefer the tins which have a ring pull though. They make it much easier to open cans, but not every can is like this. I would usually buy the ones with the ring pull as long as they are available..

I grew up with that old fashioned can opener cum bottle opener. Most convenient stores here of the olden times have that can opener tied to the side of the store so customers who buy soda can open the bottle themselves. During parties, the cooler has an attached bottle opener. From what I know, there are still houses who have that old can opener.

Yes, yes, yes, yes!!! How did I miss this? I saw it and I got so excited. I don't think I have one here but I hope my mom still has one or some. It reminds me of the good old days. I mastered opening cans with this. Now I feel like searching to see if I have one here but I somehow doubt I do. I somehow don't remember them getting rusty.

What in the world is that? It looks like some kind of dangerous bottle opener and if you aren't careful you can slice or jam right into your hand. Ouch! Whatever it is, I hope they have created a modern version of it that is far easier and safer to use. I'm going to assume this is part of the Swiss Army Knife family. It also looks like an old wrench like the ones my Dad has out in his garage. It also looks like a weapon. :laugh:

I can remember my grandparents owning one of these when I was a kid but it's been years since I've seen one he he!

Back
Top Bottom