Have you ever used your stick blender for Chopping?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
11:46 AM
Has anyone ever used a stick blender to chop veggies for things like soups, stews or stuffing instead of a knife? I've just begun to wonder about that, even though I have a manual chopper. :wink:

I've never tried that, but I think I'll try that sometime. It seems that it would make uneven cuts unless you pre-cut everything to fit under that little immersion blender "hood". I never use the immersion blender anymore because I don't like how incompletely it blends things in a pot (I'd rather just pour it into a blender so everything is uniformly blended).

it probably wouldn't work. I DO have a big Cuinart food processor, but who wants to drag that heavy thing out & dirtying it up every time a chopping job, regardless how large or small the chopping job is?!! :headshake:

I wouldn't personally as late night was saying you would have to "cut it up to fit it under the hood" so if you've started with a knife why not just carry on with it, personally I get a lot of satisfaction from using my knives.
Ps. Using anything mechanical is cheating lol

Our stick blender came with an "attachment" that is a mini food processor as well as a "whisk" attachment, but we've never used them. I have used the smaller food processor to zap veges for Trinity and Sofrito, but only rarely. I prefer using a knife.

A stick blender is designed to be used in liquids
If you use it dry you might damage the bearing at the bottom of the shaft

If you are chopping veges with lots of water content, liquid will appear almost instantly.

Has anyone ever used a stick blender to chop veggies for things like soups, stews or stuffing instead of a knife? I've just begun to wonder about that, even though I have a manual chopper. :wink:

I hardly ever use the stick blender. However, mine has a mini chopper which I find really handy. It's ideal for small quantities of coriander leaf, garlic, ginger, onion, tomatoes, mint, basil, cheese, etc.

This is garlic.

Our stick blender came with an "attachment" that is a mini food processor as well as a "whisk" attachment, but we've never used them. I have used the smaller food processor to zap veges for Trinity and Sofrito, but only rarely. I prefer using a knife.

Craig didn't remember that I have used the attachments. I've used the whisk attachment many times and also the mini food processor for very small quantities. They both worked well, but are limited to fairly small amounts.

I hardly ever use the stick blender. However, mine has a mini chopper which I find really handy.
Yes...I have one of these as well (and it seems that @CraigC / @medtran49 also do). This is where I get most of my use of the stick blender motor: it's useful when I don't want to mess with the full-sized food processor.

Yes...I have one of these as well (and it seems that @CraigC / @medtran49 also do). This is where I get most of my use of the stick blender motor: it's useful when I don't want to mess with the full-sized food processor.

No actually, we get the most use of it as an immersion blender, which is why Craig doesn't remember me using the attachments. Also, because he doesn't usually whip cream, make aioli/mayo, or make fiddly little things like I do sometimes. We've had it quite a few years. I don't remember the brand off top of my head but I do remember researching and we got the best rated one. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't the most expensive either. Ended up being a good investment though as it has lasted quite a while. It's even got 10 speeds. We got it for a specific reason, though I don't remember why, because we gave our old to our daughter since she didn't have one.

he doesn't usually whip cream, make aioli/mayo, or make fiddly little things like I do sometimes.
I also use the whisk attachment for frothing egg whites and cream (though just as often I might grab the blender....the whisk attachment fits both, and my stick blender only has 2 speeds, whereas my blender has 10).

I also use the whisk attachment for frothing egg whites and cream (though just as often I might grab the blender....the whisk attachment fits both, and my stick blender only has 2 speeds, whereas my blender has 10).

I have a Chinese made hand held mixer which has 7 speeds. They range from 1 (fast) to 7 (a bit faster). It wasn't expensive.

Back
Top Bottom