Have you tried an aga cooker?

Onionman

Veteran
Local time
1:38 PM
I've seen people have aga cookers in their kitchens on TV but I've never cooked with one and never known anyone to have cooked with one.

They do look stylish (albeit you have to have a big enough kitchen to have one). But are they any good? What benefits are they meant to provide in cooking?

I grew up in a house with an Aga in the kitchen. It produced the most wonderful Sunday joints of roast beef, chicken, lamb and pork. It can be a disadvantage in hot weather, but an Aga definitely has benefits for slow cooking and roasting. My mother had no difficulty in baking cakes in it or using the hotplate for pan cooking.

I've seen people have aga cookers in their kitchens on TV but I've never cooked with one and never known anyone to have cooked with one.

They do look stylish (albeit you have to have a big enough kitchen to have one). But are they any good? What benefits are they meant to provide in cooking?

aga cooker..jpg

WOW!!

I never knew that this was a kind of stove!! Never even heard of the NAME before. But I've seen them in kitchens on shows on the Food Network before.
The Two Fat Ladies show had one! :scratchhead:

Last edited:
we have a rayburn with is the same company as aga but the lids are square ,she's dark blue with polished silver lids,its a great stove,heats the house and the water and cooks,they are expensive,but will last a life time

If it is a gas aga, great but they do need servicing.
But they are pricey and they need to have a thermostat so that you can control the temperature slightly. I was using one back in February when I posted the thread about. the 2nd photo show the one we were using https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/large-kitchens-are-they-all-useless.3992/#post-19488 .

I also grew up with a wood burning aga and it had a few issues, like you had to feed it wood constantly! But at least it wasn't that bad to light, it just took hours to get up to temperature!
If you can deal with the fact you have a hot ring and a cooler ring, plus a hot oven and a cool oven and you can only change the temperature of the aga slowly and it affects all of the rings & ovens together, not individually, then they are great. Would I have one again? Well if the house I moved into had one, yes, otherwise no!

Now I remember it, but I thought nothing of it & thought that it was a regular stove! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom