Have you tried raw garlic?

chocomore

Veteran
Local time
6:05 PM
Someone told me it was good for the blood so I had a clove:( never again that garlic was on my chest all night! Has anyone else tried it?.

yep - but I am well known amongst our family for not being able to 'taste' garlic properly and can quite easily eat garlic raw as a clove of garlic. I usually double the quantity of garlic for virtually all of our recipes. That said, most of my homemade pates and other raw food products also have raw garlic in them which my OH eats quite happily. He has only 'rejected' one meal made with raw garlic - a basil pesto. Apparenly it simply had too much raw garlic in it for him to eat even after nearly 20 years of living with me and my cooking!:rolleyes:

My father was an enthusiast of raw garlic due to its medicinal properties, and he had many home remedies based on garlic for those who could not cope with it.

One of them was macerating garlic cloves in vodka for at least 15 days before starting adding 5 drops in a glass of water that should be drank first thing in the morning all days, as my mother used to do for years and she is now over 80 and healthy.

Personally I trust in the medicinal properties of garlic, but I use it generously to satisfy my taste because I like it, but not to the extent to eat a raw clove.

I made it once and besides the hot and tears, I had my esophagus burning all day long :cry:

There is no denying that raw garlic has some great medicinal benefits. The only problem is that raw garlic also has very strong scent. Lets face it this can get on our hands and its not easy to wash off. To be honest I tend to lean more toward garlic powder or sault when cooking. To me it still gives me the flavor of garlic but not all the strong odor that the raw version has.

If you eat too much of it, it will literally start giving off odor through your pores as it passes through your system. I used to work with a guy who was obsessed with eating a whole head of garlic per day. He would boil the whole head of it in grape juice then chug it all for lunch. He smelled like rotting flesh when he would come into work, it was awful. You may be better off looking for odorless garlic supplements.

I love garlic and would eat it constantly if it wasn't for to odor. So yes, I do eat garlic with a lot of food but not everyday.

Yeah, wasn't that great. If it had been cooked I could eat a little bit of it plain, otherwise no. But I absolutely love garlic and will put it in almost anything. Haven't had plain mashed potatoes in a loooong time.

Well it is true that garlic as one of the wonders of nature that had many uses and health benefits for our body. That is why my mother always include lots of garlic in her cooking. Sometimes if we will eat grill pork meat we see to it that we eat that together with fresh lettuce and then dip it in sesame oil with sesame seed, salt and raw garlic. This is our way of eating grilled pork because we know garlic with counteract the cholesterol in it and it really taste great!

I don't mind raw garlic if it is in a salad dressing or just mixed with some olive oil, herbs and sea salt for dipping bread in. In general I cook with a fair amount of garlic in just about everything I make, but I certainly don't eat it in excess to the point where it is causing me odor problems. I'm inclined to think that beyond a certain point, too much garlic may not have any additional health benefits for you. Some things, when taken in excess, will simply just pass through your system if they are not used.

Yes I did. I had forgotten how bitter it really is. I will not be doing that again.

Yeah, wasn't that great. If it had been cooked I could eat a little bit of it plain, otherwise no. But I absolutely love garlic and will put it in almost anything. Haven't had plain mashed potatoes in a loooong time.

I might have to try adding a bit of garlic to my next batch of mashed potatoes. :cool:

Also yes, I've tried eating a little bit of raw garlic and while it didn't taste as bad as I expected it to, I won't make a habit out of it.

I try to eat one or two pegs of raw garlic a day with the insight of lowering my blood pressure but it's like the hardest thing for me to do as there is a harsh taste to it ....i also use it in most of my dishes and at times i will use it to brew a cup of tea.

Someone told me it was good for the blood so I had a clove:( never again that garlic was on my chest all night! Has anyone else tried it?.
I eat raw garlic all the time, so I'm use to it. It's usually mixed up in salsa or guacamole, it can be very harsh eating it by it self. Raw garlic is great for health.

I'm one of those very odd people who adore the smell of garlic; however even I know that sometimes too much of a good thing is a bad thing. I can't stand it's smell when there's a lot of them. I make this allusion to smell because like the smell, I love to eat small bites of garlic or garlic mixed in with recipes that call for it raw. However, I couldn't eat a whole clove because it wouldn't be a tasty treat to me at that point.

Back
Top Bottom