Healthiest pasta sauce

Ella

Veteran
Local time
12:52 AM
I like most pasta sauces, but which is healthiest? An alfredo is nice and rich but can be heavy, I find a pesto is great, but doesn't have that many vitamins in it and tomato can be a bit bland.

An arrabiata is my choice as it is healthy, tasty and not too heavy. I'm open to other suggestions as a vegetarian.

The more vegetables you can get into pasta sauce the healthier it will be.

Tomato paste makes a good base and can be combined with spices, garlic, herbs, sauted onions and almost any type of cooked vegetables (chopped or pureed). Non-vegetarians can add flaked tuna, ground beef, cooked chicked or whatever they want.

A healthier cheese or cream based sauce can be made with garlic, onions, mushrooms etc.

Pesto sauce can contain chopped nuts, which will give it more protein, or you could add some finely chopped green vegetables.

Marinara sauce is very healthy. You can add as many veggies to it as you like to make it even healthier. I like to add spinach to mine because I just love the flavor it adds to the dish. You can also add mushrooms which are very healthy as well. The only pasta sauces I would consider to be unhealthy are the alfredo sauces, and that is mostly because they are so rich that one typically ends of eating too many calories for one meal when using them.

I've always been told that red sauce is better than white sauce. Tomato has a lot of nutritional values to it, plus if you eat it without meat it's better for you. I'm not opposed to adding meat -- actually I add meat all the time to my tomato sauce -- but it just kinda depends on what dietary restriction you're on.

I would also add in some mushrooms and onions into the tomato sauce. It makes it chunkier but tastier!

Back
Top Bottom