Healthy alternatives to unhealthy snacks

cefmac

Veteran
Local time
2:28 AM
I have to confess that I am something of a snacker. I often find myself popping to the shops just to buy chocolate, crisps or cookies just because I'm passing by and think "why not?". It's a terrible attitude to have, and I'm not happy with it - it wastes a lot of money which I could be spending on something more worthwhile, it's bad for my skin, it makes me feel guilty and it makes me gain weight. I'd like to cut down on snacking, or at least switch to healthier snacks. I've found this guide on Pinterest which suggests healthy alternatives to what you're craving:
cbf3417e168419096545350da9d16351.jpg

Does anyone else have any ideas for healthy switch-ups?

Interesting table. I'm not very prone to snacking but from time to time. However I don't have any idea of healthier substitutions.

When I have snack cravings, I take whatever my hunger dictates even high-calorie snacks that I later burn walking, walking, walking. Yesterday for 4 hours to burn out New Year's snacks!

Interesting table. I'm not very prone to snacking but from time to time. However I don't have any idea of healthier substitutions.

When I have snack cravings, I take whatever my hunger dictates even high-calorie snacks that I later burn walking, walking, walking. Yesterday for 4 hours to burn out New Year's snacks!

Yeah, I keep telling myself the same - that I'll burn off any high-calorie snacks with exercise, but I'm quite lazy. I walk everywhere, sometimes up to about 7 miles a day, but it's not really enough to offset the calories. For me, it's more of a guilt thing. I always feel like my money could be better spent when I waste it on sugary treats, whereas I feel like I'm taking care of myself by having healthy snacks so don't regret it.

Reactions: Lin
I only eat three meals a day for proper absorption of foods and digestion if you will allow 4 to 6 hours intervals of eating. I am doing this for many years already that is why I am not into snacking. But for me a healthy snack would be fresh cucumber and carrot sticks with yogurt dip and it is healthy.

Reactions: Lin
I've recently found that I don't crave the flavor of junk food as much as I crave the texture of junk food. If I'm in a mood to snack on something I usually want something crunchy, so I've started substituting "baby" carrots and celery sticks for the chips I used to eat. It's been a great success so far.

Since I often crave sweets, my healthy alternative is fruit. After eating an apple or peach, (normally) the desire to munch on candy goes away. I also drink Crystal Light to satiate this desire. This liquid both quenches my thirst and helps me forget about eating something sweet.

I have to confess that I am something of a snacker. I often find myself popping to the shops just to buy chocolate, crisps or cookies just because I'm passing by and think "why not?". It's a terrible attitude to have, and I'm not happy with it - it wastes a lot of money which I could be spending on something more worthwhile, it's bad for my skin, it makes me feel guilty and it makes me gain weight. I'd like to cut down on snacking, or at least switch to healthier snacks. I've found this guide on Pinterest which suggests healthy alternatives to what you're craving:
cbf3417e168419096545350da9d16351.jpg

Does anyone else have any ideas for healthy switch-ups?
Thank you much for sharing. This is a great list. I see that you are remorseful of the fact that you are living an unhealthy snack-eating life. lol. Remorse is the first step, and then you must force yourself to stop. It's hard I admit, especially when you have money. Poor people don't have these our worries. Enviable...on either side of the scale...

Lol...Yea...the good thing is that you exercise regularly in walking and such. Well, I eat snacks, but inconsistently (which is good). Yup! I realize that I can substitute snacks with fruits such as apples, bananas, etc.

I only eat three meals a day for proper absorption of foods and digestion if you will allow 4 to 6 hours intervals of eating. I am doing this for many years already that is why I am not into snacking. But for me a healthy snack would be fresh cucumber and carrot sticks with yogurt dip and it is healthy.
What! Snacking on cucumbers....? Not gonna happen with me. I see that you are a very disciplined person. Good job...I do have veges, but when on fasting...mann.....you are good!

Fruits are very healthy alternative to junk foods. When craving, eat fruits instead. It helps relieve your craving the healthy way!

Thanks for posting that chart! I like that it acknowledges that what we crave can signal something that our body needs, even if the way we meet that need goes unfulfilled. Although, i does look like it can get complicated with sweet cravings, because that chart shows we're missing a great many minerals/nutrients, and trying and failing one might get me to move onto another so I'm technically snacking much more...

And nothing can replace chocolate for me. Nuts, legumes, and some fruits can go really well with chocolate, but I couldn't use them as replacements!

Back
Top Bottom