Healthy alternatives?

angelicagapit

Veteran
Local time
4:38 PM
My family loves eating burgers, pizza, fries, and other unhealthy food. What are some healthy alternatives to eat that can cater to people who are used to eating unhealthy food?

I want to know delicious, healthier options, but something that my family would enjoy eating.

Any suggestion would do. Thank you guys!

you could try switching over from burgers to patties. Patties tend to include more veg/beans/pulses and are usually homemade. It can be a sticky job that kids love and is a great way of getting more veg into them without them really knowing it. Patties can also include things like rice in them as well.

Eat mashed potatoes instead of chips/fries and get them to add to the mashed potato (and I mean homemade mashed potato not a 'add water or milk mix'). They can add things like peas or cheese or any other veg (sweet potato) to the mash.

Another option is to make homemade chips (UK version of fries) from sweet potatoes and get them kids to help.

Cookies/biscuits can be replaced with homemade chocolate chip scones (much lower fat content then muffins) and are easy to make and take very little time at all to cook (12 mins at 220C) and kids love making them in my experience.

As I read this my first thought is that your family loves to eat food prepared by a quick in-and-out restaurant or fast food place.

Honestly, you can make all of those things at home from scratch and by themselves none are necessarily "unhealthy."

Hamburgers. Start with lean ground beef (93/7 sirloin and it has a great flavor) and you've already cut the fat and grease of a fast food place probably by half. Then, grill it on a grill where much of the oil and fat drip out. Choose a whole wheat or whole oat bun over white/sugar buns, or go without the bun completely. Top it with fresh veggies - tomato, lettuce, avocado, sautéed onions... all healthier options than McDonald's offers.

Fries: anything baked in the oven is immediately healthier than fried in vegetable oil. My family loves traditional fries in the oven. Cut a potato (I leave the skin on, actually as it is easier), toss it lightly in olive oil, sprinkle with seasoning (salt, pepper, sometimes chili powder, you can be creative here) and bake it at 400 for about 15 minutes, then flip them and give them another 10 to 15 minutes (depending on the size of your cuts). You can do the same thing with sweet potato for an even healthier option, that is also delicious.

Pizza: There are so many options for healthier pizza when you make it yourself. It starts with the base (or the "dough"). You can always experiment with different more healthy bread options. But last summer at the peak of zucchini season, I actually made pizza bites on zucchini and it was divine. Of course cutting the pepperoni and other fatty meats from the top raises the health factor - consider Greek pizza: Mediterranean olives, sun dried tomatoes, artichokes, feta cheese, spinach.

I think all of these things can keep your family eating what they like, but they sort of raise the bar on health and flavor, you know? Turn your family into foodies!

Thanks guys for your suggestions! I will really try to cook these up for my family.

Hopefully they'll enjoy it, and I'll definitely show them this forum to know where I got the information.

Thanks again. :)

Back
Top Bottom