Healthy chicken recipes?

Caffajake

Veteran
Local time
10:03 PM
I just bought lots of chicken breast today for the freezer and I'm looking for the best healthy recipes to make with them. (The cheaper the better!) I'm open to any food suggestions, I'll try almost anything once! Would love to hear your suggestions :)

You could make a nice chicken stew. All you need are some vegetables and the meat. I usually use mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, celery, parsley roots and lots of red onions. You could also add sour cream to the stew and make it really creamy. The different ingredient combinations when making stew like this are endless.

You could make a nice chicken stew. All you need are some vegetables and the meat. I usually use mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, celery, parsley roots and lots of red onions. You could also add sour cream to the stew and make it really creamy. The different ingredient combinations when making stew like this are endless.
Really like this idea and I have half the veg already. Do you have an example recipe?

Sure, it is really simple. You just have to fry the onions first, until they change color and get glassy and soft. Then you can add mushrooms, carrots, all the hard roots basically, along with the meat, which you should chop up into cubes or other such small sizes. Just fry them all together over low heat, so that you avoid burning all the veggies. After about 10 minutes or so, just add about 500 ml of warm water or broth. Broth is preferable, since it will make your meal more consistent. Broth made of cubes is perfectly fine, but natural broth is much better. Also, the amount of liquid you add, depends on how much stew you want to make and how much veg and meat you want to use. Just add more if you want more stew. And then, finally, you add the potatoes which you should also chop up into small sizes. :Let all of it boil away over medium heat, and occasionally check the potatoes with a fork and see if they got soft and done. Now just whisk in some sour cream and let the whole meal sit for about a half an hour before serving, so all those different tastes combine. Try it out, it is a really easy and awesome meal.

Chicken Bruscetta - just make a simple bruchetta topping with diced tomatoes, basil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and olive oil. Then season and grill the chicken breasts. Cut into strips and place over pasta then top with the brushetta topping and some freshly grated parmesan cheese. Or you can serve it over some broiled slices of crusty Italian bread.

Chicken quesadillas - you can make these healthier by going easy on the cheese. Just grill the chicken, dice it, and toss it with some cheese, canned green chiles, perhaps some mexican seasonings and black olives. Then spread it on some flour tortillas lightly sprayed with cooking spray and cook them until golden and the cheese is melted. Serve with a homemade salsa.

Similarly you can make a chicken panini with some grilled chicken strips, herbed goat cheese and some sun dried tomatoes on a multigrain bread cooked in a panini press until you get some good grill marks and everything is melted through and heated. Goat cheese is lower in fat than many other cheeses.

The thing with chicken breasts is their tendency to be very dry and bland, if you are not careful.

The first thing I suggest, no matter what you do, is sear the breast on a hot pan (with or without olive oil) to seal in the flavor. Then, you can do almost anything with it in the crockpot, and it will more than likely stay moist and flavorful.

I do a really easy Mexican chicken in the crock pot - just add a can of black beans, a can of Rotel, corn (fresh, frozen, or canned) and seasoning. I like chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. This is a great stuffing for soft tacos, hard tacos, topper for taco salad, or seriously, even just on it's own. You can fatten it up with sour cream and avocado if you choose, or keep it lean and healthy.

There are so many simple options for healthy chicken meals as it is such a lean and healthy meat. Try some of these: Chicken with rice and peas, chicken stir fry, chicken and sweetcorn soup, chicken and steamed vegetables, chicken and pepper pasta with tomato sauce, homemade grilled chicken burgers and spiced potato wedges, chicken and avocado salad, chicken wrapped in bacon, chicken salad sandwich on wholemeal, chicken curry (made with no cream or oil) and rice, I could go on....

Back
Top Bottom