Healthy (no corn) alternatives to tortilla chips?

The Aspertarian

Veteran
Local time
11:56 AM
I am looking for some healthy, low carb, non corn alternatives to tortilla chips. My husband loved my super healthy bean dip, but eating the tortilla chips pretty much cancels out the good nutrition.

He likes the tortilla chips, but not the corn or carbs. Raw veggies just give him the same effect. He loves veggies, but he wants the 'experience' of corn chips and dip, or some kind of chips.

I did find Udi's gluten free cheddar and jalapeno chips which are really good, but I would like to have a few other alternatives in my arsenal.

Have you thought of making your own chips? You can find plenty of recipes online and obviously this way you know exactly what's in them.

Interesting enough, I just tried sweet potato tortilla chips for the first time. My mom made a bunch of fresh guacamole so I was looking for a healthier alternative in the grocery story yesterday. I bought Simply Sprouted Way Better Snack in Simply Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips. Unfortunately, they do contain stone ground corn. However, it is all natural, vegan, gluten free, non GMO and contains no trans fat, artificial colours or preservatives. They also contain sweet potatoes, sprouted quinoa and sprouted chia seeds. So it is still a healthier option, despite the corn. They also taste delicious. I bought them in Canada, but they are made in the States.

What if you took tortillas that are not corn based and toasted/baked them in the oven? That would create tortilla chips that do not contain corn. I think I did this many years ago when I needed something to dip into salsa. Or you could just use bread or crackers.

I've tried rice chips, but to be honest I wasn't really impressed with the texture or taste of them personally. I would almost rather just dip vegetables into the dip instead of a chip substitute that I didn't like. Celery is considered negative calories for example since it takes more energy to digest them than they supply. Some orange and yellow carrots and red pepper strips would be good too.

What if you took tortillas that are not corn based and toasted/baked them in the oven? That would create tortilla chips that do not contain corn. I think I did this many years ago when I needed something to dip into salsa. Or you could just use bread or crackers.

Yes, flour tortilla chip could be a good and fast alternative as these require less cooking time than corn tortillas.

Problem would be if he is on a gluten-free diet, but there must be alternatives to cope with this.

Even if they are not corn based, they will likely have the same amount of carbs and calories. Some health food stores will also sell fried plantains or fried jicama root, which are also alternatives to corn based chips. The fried plantains are actually really good with guacamole, and add a slight sweetness that goes well with the creamy dip.

Back
Top Bottom