Hello Everybody

Is that a BSA motorcycle in your avatar? It is hard to tell, but I blew it up on my computer, and the logo looks like three letters.

CD
It is! Picked it up a couple of weeks ago, it‘s my 50th birthday prezzie. Had it on order since last July and Sod’s Law it turns up a few days before I left for Spain.
So I rode it home (it was a lovely but icey ride), parked it up and there it waits with 25 miles on clock wondering why no-ones fussing over it :laugh:
It will make going back all the easier knowing that very pretty thing is waiting for me :)

Last edited:
I took up endurance cycling about 10 years ago and was so into it, a normal ride would be 60-80 miles but then I got a motorbike completed my last century ride two weeks later and that was that. I’m still planning to ride around the world except now it will be on a motorbike and I‘m planning to do it jigsaw style, do one country come back check home life is ticketyboo draw that line on the map, rest and do the next country.

A friend rode the Silk Road last year. I think it was a bit harrowing!

I've been seriously into cycling for a ling time, (and this forum actually originally grew out of a cycling forum - Satnav might explain), so 50-70 miles on a Sunday morning was a regular for me, along with running a cycling group out of my local pub.

With regard to touring, before Covid a couple of friends of mine went on a supported cycling holiday travelling from Bangkok through Cambodia to Vietnam and Ho Chi Mihn City, where they then joined a supported motorcycle tour, riding Harleys up to Hanoi.
I wish I was retired and had a month to spare for such adventures.

I've been seriously into cycling for a ling time, (and this forum actually originally grew out of a cycling forum - Satnav might explain), so 50-70 miles on a Sunday morning was a regular for me, along with running a cycling group out of my local pub.

With regard to touring, before Covid a couple of friends of mine went on a supported cycling holiday travelling from Bangkok through Cambodia to Vietnam and Ho Chi Mihn City, where they then joined a supported motorcycle tour, riding Harleys up to Hanoi.
I wish I was retired and had a month to spare for such adventures.

I know it’s early days but I feel I might have accidentally landed in the right spot :)
That would be a dream cycling holiday.

I’ll be honest the motorcycling took over the cycling partly because my other half who was hugely into triathlons eventually discovered decades of front row rugby had completely worn out his joints and when he had to stop competitive sport not only did I feel bad about going out on my bicycle, it was possible for him to get his mobike license, join me and enjoy that feeling some of us motion satisfied people really need.

Welcome from Ontario, Canada!

I also am/was an avid cyclist, although I’m a bit different from most as I cycled mainly for transport - I commuted to work by bike for roughly 12 years before covid hit and I started working from home. Then I changed jobs and take the train now, and add a broken ankle this past fall (not from cycling, from walking, of all things) and I haven’t been on a bike in over 6 months ☹️

I’m hoping to get back into shape and back into it over the next few months. I miss riding with my cycling buddies!

Welcome to Cooking Bites - love your username!

Um, another case of UK and US being two countries separated by a common language.

Cycling in the US, and apparently Canada, refers to riding bicycles. In the UK, it seems that it refers to riding motorcycles, or motorbikes -- a term also not used in the US.

CD

In the UK, it seems that it refers to riding motorcycles, or motorbikes
IME, only amongst UK motorcyclists. The UK bicyclist also call it cycling or riding and typically refer to the engine version as motorbikes or motorcycles to distinguish, but it can be confusing because those on motorbikes also call it riding a bike, not so much cycling... we have both in our expanded household.

UK cyclists tend to call a bicycle a bike, and you go for a ride on your bike. UK cyclists typically call motorbikes motorbikes, not bikes, but you also ride a motorbike. UK motorbike riders tend to also go for a ride on a bike and tend to forget about the existence of cyclists.

Not sure which of those phrases it better. In the UK it really depends on whether you come from the manual or powered bike background. I think cyclists (manual) define it more clearly than motorbikers.

Cycling in the US, and apparently Canada, refers to riding bicycles. In the UK, it seems that it refers to riding motorcycles, or motorbikes -- a term also not used in the US.

Not so different, I think? Cycling in the UK means riding a bicycle not motorbike. 'Biker' is often used to refer to those who ride motorbikes. If someone calls themselves a cyclist, I'm pretty sure they would mean they ride a bicycle (or possibly tricycle).

It crosses over because back in the mists of time motorcycles originally were precisely that bicycles with engines added.
Until not long ago motorcycle licences were issued with “Motor bicycle licence” on the top of the piece of paper.

46A57685-D9EC-4B19-AE8E-0959B1E069B0.jpeg

Surprisingly motorbike are still essentially bicycles with motors in them (with a few exceptions) there is little change to the original format of a metal frame, two wheels usually with inner tubes and a chain on some cogs. They are mostly basic contraptions with a tendency to break down like cars used to.

In the UK it seems anything you swing a leg over is ridden- horse, bicycle, trike, motorbike, quad etc.

Not so sure Motorcyclist forget about cyclists, sure there are ones that do same as car drivers but most motorcyclists had a bicycle first and many still cycle. Of my biking friends four still regularly bicycle, one belonging to a cycling group, two who like mountain biking and on who’s into sportives 👍

Last edited:
Welcome from SE Florida! I rode a motorcycle as a main means of transportation for 13 years, never again. Too many idiots (4 wheel) out there.:peekaboo:

Back
Top Bottom