Hello, Everyone! I'm Shermie!

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
8:09 PM
Hi, everyone!!

I just visited Google, looking for a new cooking forum to join, and I just found THIS one there!

It looks like a good refreshing cooking forum that I haven't seen before, so I thought that I'd give it a whirl & see!

I'll be stopping by here now and then, to check out things and start informative threads and post comments in them.
I'm a life-long resident in East Boston, MA. Thought I love my neighborhood, I'm looking to hopefully move to Washington, DC in the not-too-distant future. I love it there, especially in the Dupont Circle area!!

Hope to be able to chat with some of you guys & gals! Thanks.

~Shermie.

Hi, everyone!!

I just visited Google, looking for a new cooking forum to join, and I just found THIS one there!

It looks like a good refreshing cooking forum that I haven't seen before, so I thought that I'd give it a whirl & see!

I'll be stopping by here now and then, to check out things and start informative threads and post comments in them.
I'm a life-long resident in East Boston, MA. Thought I love my neighborhood, I'm looking to hopefully move to Washington, DC in the not-too-distant future. I love it there, especially in the Dupont Circle area!!

Hope to be able to chat with some of you guys & gals! Thanks.

~Shermie.

Hi Shermie, welcome.

Hey Shermie. Welcome to the forum. There are a whole lot of great cooking ideas on here and I know that you will like being here.

Hey, welcome. I'm kinda new here myself too but it seems like a great place so far.

Do you mind me asking are those pies or cakes in your avatar?

Hi, ChowDownBob!

Thanks!

Those are pound cakes - 7up Cakes to be exact.

I'm a cake baker, and I LOVE to bake the 7up Cake!! They came out so beautiful looking that I just hated to cut them!!

They were for a big family dinner on Easter Eve. I also made 4 sweet potato pies to go with the cakes.

That is one of my specialties also! I don't back fancy things, because they can be time consuming, so I just do good ole' ordinary baking, to which I'm quite happy with!! :wink:

Last edited:
002.JPG
Sweet Potato Pies.jpg

Here are the 7up Cakes & Sweet Potato Pies in full view! :wink:

Electrolus Assistant Stand Mixer (Gray)..jpg

I made the batter for the 7up Cakes with THIS mixer.

Using two, count 'em, TWO recipes at a time for the cakes, this machine's giant monster 8-qt stainless steel bowl can accommodate TWO recipes at a time!

Same with the four sweet potato pies! The bowl was almost full to the rim! It did it all. I was multitasking that week, and enjoying it, all in a successful bid to Get the Job Done!!

My oldest brother who managed the whole affair, had asked me to do the job, and I delivered the goods without any hesitation or questioning him! I was more than happy to do it! :wink:

Last edited:
Hi. Welcome to the forum. I like making cakes as well. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi, ChowDownBob!

Thanks!

Those are pound cakes - 7up Cakes to be exact.

I'm a cake baker, and I LOVE to bake the 7up Cake!! They came out so beautiful looking that I just hated to cut them!!

They were for a big family dinner on Easter Eve. I also made 4 sweet potato pies to go with the cakes.

That is one of my specialties also! I don't back fancy things, because they can be time consuming, so I just do good ole' ordinary baking, to which I'm quite happy with!! :wink:

At the risk of sounding like a numpty, what is a 7up cake? Is it as obvious as I think it is?

At the risk of sounding like a numpty, what is a 7up cake? Is it as obvious as I think it is?

It is called 7up Cake because one of the ingredients that go into the batter is 7up or other lemon/line flavored soda. Sprite can also be used. In fact, it is the last ingredient that you add during the mixing process. the lemon extract also add to the flavor of the lemon soda. :wink:

It is called 7up Cake because one of the ingredients that go into the batter is 7up or other lemon/line flavored soda. Sprite can also be used. In fact, it is the last ingredient that you add during the mixing process. the lemon extract also add to the flavor of the lemon soda. :wink:

So it was what I thought :) so you get the lemon and the sugar from just 1 ingredient. Never heard of that before, another daft question, do you pour it fizzy or flat? If fizzy then do they add to the texture and make it lighter?

Back
Top Bottom