Hello from Finland

Ok, I´ll try Krokettes when we fly to The Netherlands some time in the future. We had agreed on a trip to Amsterdam just before this stupid pandemic hit. Btw, ScandiBrit´s black pudding in 'Tampa' (Tampere?) probably wasn´t "mämmi" but a Tampere specialty called "mustamakkara" (black pudding; blood sausage; black sausage). We Finns know the art of garnishing. Just think about this dish without the lingonberries ☺.

Image: Kotiliesi magazine / Mustamakkara on tamperelaisten oma suosikkieväs, joka nautitaan oikeaoppisesti torilla kylmän maidon kanssa
Translation: "Black sausage is Tampere's own favorite snack, which is orthodoxly enjoyed at the market place with cold milk"

Last edited:
Good Morning from Podstrana Croatia. We get quite a few tourists from Finland here. " Our general appearance is potato-like, soft and obedient. It is easy to spot a thin-skinned, small-nosed and slightly overweight Finn abroad."

Last edited:
🙃. Ha-ha, Burt. You did find an old pic of Miss Finland contestants. This year, one third of the participants were of Russian origin. A Finnish-rooted drunk´n´drive sentenced 23 year old brunette won. (Well okay, her reading some five years ago was 0.52 when the limit is 0.5).

Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare on Finnish obesity: In 2017, almost three-quarters of men aged 30 and older and two-thirds of women were overweight (body mass index of at least 25 kg / m2). A quarter of adults can be classified as obese (body mass index at least 30 kg / m2).

Of course we come in all shapes and sizes, colors, genders and characters. We Finns just tend to notice each other abroad according to certain less flattering features.

This is close to the truth: How to spot a Finnish tourist (according to some students of the University of Lapland):

1. Open-toe sandals
2. Tennis socks (often crammed into sandals)
3. A belt bag
4. Fresh red tan
5. Verbal and nonverbal communication (or lack thereof); silent during the day, loud at the bar in the evening.

As this is a cooking site, let´s not forget food. Some foreigners have described Finnish food as baby food: tasteless puree. Finns want their meatballs, rye bread and floury and fatty barbecue sausage with mustard when traveling, too. This is why many Spanish and Greek tourist destinations have their own "Suomi-Baari" or "Suomi-Taverna" (Finnish bar/tavern). My heart is warmed by this sincere love of homeland but I merely peek inside and roll my eyes.

Last edited:
1. Open-toe sandals
2. Tennis socks (often crammed into sandals)
3. A belt bag
4. Fresh red tan
5. Verbal and nonverbal communication (or lack thereof); silent during the day, loud at the bar in the evening.
turistit-jpg.jpg
As a Brit married to a Croatian I must admit to mistaking them for Slim American Carnival Cruise ship pax. I come from Liverpool, we are called Scoucers after Lobscouse a sailors dish from your region. My wife had friends in Norway and Finland back in her seafaring days. Back in my day we had a lot of Finnish girl students in L/pool Uni.
Have you ever competed in this ?

Wife Carrying World Championship

Finland hosts a bizarre competition called the “Wife Carrying World Championship” every year. Men who manage to carry their wives through an obstacle the fastest, will get their wife’s weight in beer. Imagine 50+ kg of beer and having proven yourself as a strong person!

^Thanks for supporting Finnish tourism. There will be no Britons or Chinamen flying to Lapland to pat the reindeer this year. ^^ Nope, not a familiar competition except from television. My husband isn´t into bodybuilding. He does follow Premium League on the couch.
♫ L-I-V-E-R-P- double O-L LIVERPOOL FC ♫

I have told this story here before you joined. Back in the day I took a single Mum and her daughter from hell to Lapland for Christmas. The kid complained about everything. The only thing she like was the Reindeer. She spent hours petting them and screaming I wanna go on another sleigh ride. The only food she liked was breakfast. On the last sleigh ride it gave me great pleasure to tell her that the bacon was made from Rudolf.

Back
Top Bottom