Hello from Vancouver, BC!

summer57

Local time
7:15 AM
Hello, everyone! Something about me -- I like trying new things, and here in Vancouver, we have access to so many ingredients and cuisines, especially Asian, plus salmon and seafood from the docks, game, local produce & cheeses. The weather's mild here which means we can grow year-round, including semi-tropicals, like my makrut lime tree for soups & curries. I tend to add Asian ingredients to regular western soups/stews, like fish sauce to shepherd's pie or meatloaf, and lime leaves to a stock.

I loved baking, especially bread, until my husband and daughter decided to go wheat-free. That was a heartbreaker. I also like canning, pickling, and trying out new jam/jelly flavour combos.

I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone in this community!

Hi summer57 and welcome to CookingBites. :welcome:. I've heard that you are very lucky in Vancouver to be able to source such great ingredients. Adding Asian ingredients to Western dishes is most interesting. I hope you will post some recipes.

Gluten free is not easy - and as someone who loves baking you must be finding it difficult. I've tried several times to make decent gluten free bread and pastry with no success. Luckily I don't have to do that.

Please dive in and join in wherever you like. We always have a few fun and friendly challenges running - see here: The Current CookingBites Challenges. You are most welcome to join in.

Welcome from nz as well. I've been lucky enough to visit your city, got lost by gas town, ended up in drug central,lol. Spent a lot of time in a bar on Robson st. :)
Loved Stanley? Park.

Russ

Hello,
and :welcome: to CookingBites.
I moved to Australia 3½ years ago and also found I suddenly had access to loads of Asian goods I previously didn't. I've had great fun exploring some of the vegan Asian resturants that are here. I'm vegetarian but dairy free due to a potentially fatal allergy to dairy proteins so pretty much follow a vegan diet except for eggs from my own chickens. I started off rescuing chickens from breeders but now have a few older birds (5 or 6 years old) and their adult chicks after allowing them to sit on fertile eggs.
I'm also lucky enough that citrus, grape and olives grow where I live despite cold winters (-10⁰C is common) summers of +40°C are also quite common. Sadly I also find myself surrounded by the worst of the bushfires this year.

Anyhow please just jump in. You'll find a short delay before your posts appear live initally. That's the same for all new members and how we keep the forum clear of unwanted advertising (spam) but the more you post, the faster you'll get full membership and if there is anything that is unclear to you, just post in the Site Support if you can't see it in the How do I...? forum and either one of the moderators or a member will answer your question.

SNSSO

Welcome! We've also been to Vancouver, back in 2012, for three nights. Lovely city!

Vancouver, yes, it's a lovely city and quite diverse, as rascal observed lol.
To be honest, one of city's best places for burgers and chicken & waffles is in that part of town, and was featured in Diners & Drive-Ins.

SatNavSaysStraightOn I've been following the bushfires. Incredible and so tragic. A friend is from East Gippsland, and some of her cousins have lost their homes. I can't imagine what people are going through there.

Gluten-free baking is definitely a tough one for me.I've made decent cookies and muffins, but haven't had success with bread or pizza. I didn't realize how important gluten is to the dough's structure.

I'm looking forward to trying out new things and getting to know all of you! Thank you for your welcome!

Hey, welcome aboard! I love Asian foods and Asian-influenced foods. Vancouver from what I hear is supposed to be one of the best places on this continent to source ingredients, and cooking ideas. Would love to see what you do, and would be fun to share here.

I live mostly gluten-free, but out of choice, not need. So, I don't do this completely. I use rice, buckwheat, tapioca, arrowroot and such, but as I'm not a sweet tooth, I don't bake very often. But knowing how to best cook for friends in my life who are indeed celiac or so forth, is something I'd enjoy learning. I can see that pizza and bread would be challenging.

My long-term Aussie friend's mother-in-law has also lost her home in the fires. My friend has had to evacuate, but is now back home.

Welcome! I have also been there. A yacht client flew me there to train new crew on the system we installed in Ft. Lauderdale, FL in the mid 2000's. Same client flew me to New Zealand for the same purpose, but not where Rascal lives. It was a small town outside of Auckland.

I enjoyed the different types of oysters and other seafood when I was in Vancouver, BC.

Welcome! I have also been there. A yacht client flew me there to train new crew on the system we installed in Ft. Lauderdale, FL in the mid 2000's. Same client flew me to New Zealand for the same purpose, but not where Rascal lives. It was a small town outside of Auckland.

I enjoyed the different types of oysters and other seafood when I was in Vancouver, BC.

Bay of islands? If it was, it's a beautiful piece of nz. We went there about 7 years ago for a week break. It's where the treaty of waitangi was signed between white and Maori . Kind of like our founding document. You would only have tried pacific oysters, nothing like bluff oysters from lower South Island. The best ever plumper oyster IMHO. I've tried oysters from many countries. Nothing close to a bluff oyster. Pacific oysters are farmed. Bluff are caught wild.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom