Help me make jam & jelly

That's a fair point SatNavSaysStraightOn I have noticed this once in a pepper and soy sauce dipping sauce that I bottled up and stored in the fridge; only to find it was not nearly as hot when I revisited the sauce a week later.

Anyway, so now I have a non-jellied pepper jelly in the fridge I don't know what to do with. I guess I will use it to glaze a piece of pork this weekend? 🤷‍♂️

Some pictures of the culinary fail...
20220515_093127.jpg
20220515_112906.jpg
20220515_115353.jpg

That's a fair point SatNavSaysStraightOn I have noticed this once in a pepper and soy sauce dipping sauce that I bottled up and stored in the fridge; only to find it was not nearly as hot when I revisited the sauce a week later.

Anyway, so now I have a non-jellied pepper jelly in the fridge I don't know what to do with. I guess I will use it to glaze a piece of pork this weekend? 🤷‍♂️
I make a sauce/condiment called shatta which is preserved chilli peppers in a small quantity of vinegar. It can be chunky or pureed. I use it in things like stews (aubergine & lentil), on crackers for lunch, on salads and so on.

Perhaps you could use it in a similar manner?
It could easily go over meat or sausages in place of mustard or ketchup... added at the time of eating.

My bread machine can make jam, saving me all of that hard labor standing at the stove. I just add all the ingredients to the machine's bread pan, set the controls & voila!! See yah!! Hah!! :whistling:

View attachment 85466
My bread machine can make jam, saving me all of that hard labor standing at the stove. I just add all the ingredients to the machine's bread pan, set the controls & voila!! See yah!! Hah!! :whistling:
So have you actually made any? How easy is it to get into the jars afterwards and clean up?

Mine makes jam, but I still wouldn't actually use that setting.

3rd generation jam maker here. Wife grows our own strawberries and raspberries.
I use 50/50 fruit to sugar. No ginger. No pectin. Just fruit and sugar. Boil for 45 mins low.
Then in sterilized jars.
Also known as the kiss method.

Russ

I use 50/50 fruit to sugar. No ginger. No pectin. Just fruit and sugar. Boil for 45 mins low.
Exactly how my mum taught me to make it. Never required any pectin, although strawberries and raspberries are low in pectin.
Adding anything else to the fruit/sugar mixture is, I suppose, a "modern" thing. I add ginger to pineapple jam and have used vanilla in strawberry jam. Apricot jam with rum... now that´s another thing altogether.:soup:

So have you actually made any? How easy is it to get into the jars afterwards and clean up?

Mine makes jam, but I still wouldn't actually use that setting.

I don't make that much. Only enough to fill a small jar that once had jelly or jam in it. I keep it in the fridge to avoid spoilage, as you would with a jar of jelly or jam once you've opened it. As far as cleanup goes, the only things that I'd have are measuring spoons, a measuring cup & the machine's bread pan, along with the paddle the little thingy at the bottom of the pan that kneads the dough. :whistling:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom