Help me make jam & jelly

You know, this is what I always thought but I was corrected by a US member on this site. It seems that in the US (or maybe its regional in the US?), jam is similar to the UK meaning and that jelly is also similar. I can't find the particular post... maybe someone else can recall this? TastyReuben?
I don't recall the post, but speaking for all 350M+ Americans ( :laugh: ) I can say that "jam" and "preserves," we use those terms somewhat interchangeably.

"Jelly" is a whole different beast, and also distinct from jello. Jelly goes on a peanut butter sandwich or toast, jello does not. We use jello as a generic term for the wobbly gelatin stuff, made by Jell-O(tm). :)

This is jelly:

Amazon

I wish I could show you a pic of what the actual product looks like. It's smooth, no seeds or lumps of fruit, almost looks like colored glass. It's very sweet.

We would never refer to that as jam, though if you were in my house and asked for jam for your toast, I'd include it in the offerings, since that's what it's for.

Jelly is generally regarded as more of a kid-appropriate item, while an adult would likely opt for jam.

Apple and grape jellies are used as ingredients, however, for things like making a glaze for pork ribs or a brisket. One of the best briskets I've ever had was done in a crockpot with grape jelly dumped in to make the glaze.

Ok, first, a pic of the different common jarred... things that are typically on offer:

That's preserves, and jelly, and jam, and spread.

We also have some specialty items, like chutneys, conserves, and compotes, but mainly, it's one of those four.

Looking over the shelves, "fruit spread" seems to have taken over more and more of the available space - I saw as many jars labeled "fruit spread" as I did all the others combined, I think.

I think marketing gets in the way of traditional classification. TastyReuben your picture reinforces my theory.

I remember a commercial, when I was in school, for Polaner All Fruit, featuring a snobby set of people asking for the [jam] product by name followed by a blue collar fellow asking, "Could you please pass the jelly" and then all the other characters looked down their noses at him :roflmao: So this ad campaign probably added to the proliferation of the terms "spreadable fruit" and "fruit preserves" in place of "jam" here in USA.

Poking around on the internet, the generally accepted meaning of a fruit spread is 100% fruit, no sugar added, though it may be sweetened with sweet fruit juice.

I do think marketing plays a big part in labeling, especially with jam/preserves/conserves/compote. If you're going for "something my little old white-haired grandma in the Blue Ridge Mountains made," maybe you'd call it jam. If you want to go more "Old World," then maybe preserves or conserves or compote. It just sounds more artisanal and maybe upscale.

Ok, here's a jam and jelly side by side, from the same company:

On a saucer, the jam is on top, the jelly on the bottom.

As you can see, the jam is a bit lumpier, and the non-lumpy bit is thinner, it spreads out all on its own.

The jelly is completely smooth, and it's a good bit more firm than the jam, but no lumps of fruit at all, and it does not spread on its own. It is not, however, as firm as jello, nor is the texture the same as jello, nor is the taste the same.

Between this particular jam and jelly, the jelly tastes much sweeter to me, almost sickly sweet. That's why kids love it.

So what defines a fruit 'spread'? :scratchhead:
Poking around on the internet, the generally accepted meaning of a fruit spread is 100% fruit, no sugar added, though it may be sweetened with sweet fruit juice.
With no added sugar I imagine an intense fruit flavor. Mmmmm!
Speaking of spreadable fruit - Fruit Butter. It can be made with almost any fruit except citrus. I have tasted several fruit butters. I like the texture and the deep fruit flavor.

I have found that this works super Med!

View attachment 79646

The past 3 or 4 times that I have sold food items at the bake sale I've put out paper Dixie cups along with those tiny cocktail forks sold at the Dollar Tree, with small bites of each item for folks to try and it works very well.
I would put out Dixie cups with some cream cheese, pepper jelly and a Ritz cracker in it rather than the fork!

Not sure how I would "sample" the Smoked Sea Salt though .... thoughts any one?
Sprinkling some on another food item that is bland enough for the smoked sea salt flavor to shine?

You know, this is what I always thought but I was corrected by a US member on this site. It seems that in the US (or maybe its regional in the US?), jam is similar to the UK meaning and that jelly is also similar. I can't find the particular post... maybe someone else can recall this? TastyReuben?
Yes, I remember that thread well.

Preserves and jams are made from fruit pulp, usually seeds and all and jelly is made from the liquid and has an entirely different consistency.
What’s the difference between jam, jelly and preserves?
And then we have Jello here too, which is actually flavored gelatin. Completely different, of course, comes in a powder that you mix with water and then refrigerate to set.

Edited to add: I didn't read through all the posts before posting (above), sorry!

Show me your breakfast

Here is the thread you were talking about.

Ok, here's a jam and jelly side by side, from the same company:

View attachment 79827

View attachment 79828

On a saucer, the jam is on top, the jelly on the bottom.

View attachment 79829

As you can see, the jam is a bit lumpier, and the non-lumpy bit is thinner, it spreads out all on its own.

The jelly is completely smooth, and it's a good bit more firm than the jam, but no lumps of fruit at all, and it does not spread on its own. It is not, however, as firm as jello, nor is the texture the same as jello, nor is the taste the same.

Between this particular jam and jelly, the jelly tastes much sweeter to me, almost sickly sweet. That's why kids love it.
I believe a jelly is with no fruit, basically a thickened juice, where a jam will have actual fruit in the product. That difference seems to support that with the grape using juice.

Back
Top Bottom