Help me make jam & jelly

Well tonight's experiment was interesting! Did a small batch with 2 cups of chopped starfruit, 2 cups sugar, one pectin pouch, and a tsp of unsalted butter.
20220119_193128.jpg

karadekoolaid excellent pointer on removing the edges of the fruit and the seeds. I only wish I had followed your advice on the ratio for fruit to sugar...
20220119_195023.jpg

Maybe I'll dice smaller next time.
20220119_195552.jpg

20220119_201523.jpg

As you can see from above, the whole packet of pectin was overkill.
20220119_203401.jpg

I'm surprised at how much the fruit reduced. I only filled 3 of these jars (I think they're 8oz).
20220119_203433.jpg

Flashlight under the jar so you can see the jam inside. It's pretty!

So yes, it was a fun experiment! I have learned that I don't need as much pectin (if at all) and I could reduce that sugar by 10-15% based on how sweet it tasted. Also considering a way to infuse some ginger into this recipe on the next attempt.
Cheers!

Looks like you did a good job there!
To be honest, I don´t think I´d bother with the pectin next time; starfruit has plenty.
For a better proportion of fruit and sugar, I´d weigh the fruit after you´ve prepared it, and then add 80% of that weight in sugar.
Then you can adjust as you go along. Some people (me , for example) like things sweeter than others!

Looks like you did a good job there!
To be honest, I don´t think I´d bother with the pectin next time; starfruit has plenty.
For a better proportion of fruit and sugar, I´d weigh the fruit after you´ve prepared it, and then add 80% of that weight in sugar.
Then you can adjust as you go along. Some people (me , for example) like things sweeter than others!
I think you are right about the pectin! after simmering the fruit alone for 15 minutes, I could tell it was starting to get jam-like already.

I had a fairly long learning curve with pectin: pepper jellies first of all, then 5 different jams which went on the market, all of which had to be perfect and consistent. It took a while to work out exactly how the stuff worked, but once I´d nailed it, every jar turned out how I wanted it to. I used something called "Quick Set" pectin - sold in 20 kg sacks!
Too much pectin and the jam/jelly goes gloopy, or sets like a rock. Too little, and the jam/jelly is sloppy.
Another tip is to leave the jam/jelly till the following day , when it´s cooled, to see whether it set properly or not. On one or two occasions - probably because of variations in the fruit, rather than the pectin - we had to empty all the jars and re-cook the stuff. A royal pain in the wotsit, since we´d do 30 kgs at a time!

You can buy frozen, I saw some here a week or so ago , $8 500gm.
Incidentally these were from middle European place . Croatia I think because I had a grin and thought of burt blank at the time, lol.

Russ
It's more expensive than fresh fruit. In the summer I can pick raspberries from my yard for free, as well as mulberries, and strawberries are cheap at the market. I don't mind waiting, especially since I like my toast with butter only. I would have the jam for gifts maybe or special occasions, and coulis for vanilla ice cream.

It's more expensive than fresh fruit. In the summer I can pick raspberries from my yard for free, as well as mulberries, and strawberries are cheap at the market. I don't mind waiting, especially since I like my toast with butter only. I would have the jam for gifts maybe or special occasions, and coulis for vanilla ice cream.
But the taste is so different to store bought. Completely.

Russ

But the taste is so different to store bought. Completely.

Russ
That's another reason why I would rather wait for summer? I think fresh tastes better, that's just me. Maybe some people like frozen better, I have frozen fruit for smoothies and daquiris so I don't have to add ice to the blender, and I will freeze pineapple if I cut one up and don't use it all within a reasonable time. Same thing with bananas, I will freeze them when they get too ripe and use them in banana bread.

When my kids were little they would eat the fruit from the bushes and trees in summer, they would come in with their faces, hands, and clothes stained with berry juice :thumbsup:

That's another reason why I would rather wait for summer? I think fresh tastes better, that's just me. Maybe some people like frozen better, I have frozen fruit for smoothies and daquiris so I don't have to add ice to the blender, and I will freeze pineapple if I cut one up and don't use it all within a reasonable time. Same thing with bananas, I will freeze them when they get too ripe and use them in banana bread.

When my kids were little they would eat the fruit from the bushes and trees in summer, they would come in with their faces, hands, and clothes stained with berry juice :thumbsup:

Lol, same here, I have to pick Sunday morning before grandkids get here.
But I leave a few in open sight.

Russ

Craig's brother came up with this recipe years and years and years ago. It always works and we love the serving suggestion with the cream cheese and Ritz below. I've also used it as a glaze for shrimp.

Lee Clark's Pepper Jelly
1-1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup sweet red bell peppers
1/2 cup jalapeno peppers
All peppers seeded and coarsely chopped
6 cups sugar
1 envelope Certo

Combine 1/2 cup vinegar with peppers in blender; pulse to fine chop (not mush). Add to sugar in large sauce pan. Rinse blender with remaining 3/4 cup vinegar and add to sugar. Mix sugar, peppers, vinegar and heat on high stirring constantly until mixture boils. Turn down heat, add Certo, return to boil for 2 minutes. Pour into sterilized pint jars, seal, and can in water bath for 20 minutes. Store in cool dark place and refrigerate after opening.

I usually make several recipes to store and give away as gifts.

Serving suggestion: Soften a block of cream cheese, pour pepper jelly over and use Ritz crackers to scoop and dip.
Med, how many pints will this recipe make?
I've been wanting to try Pepper Jelly, now maybe I will ...

medtran49 also, can use powered pectin ie Sure Jell in the same quantity? That's what I've got on hand ...

No idea, I've only used the Certo.
Med, how many pints will this recipe make?
I've been wanting to try Pepper Jelly, now maybe I will ...
It's been so long since we've made it that I don't remember but I'd guess at least 8 pints looking at amounts.

No idea, I've only used the Certo.

It's been so long since we've made it that I don't remember but I'd guess at least 8 pints looking at amounts.
I think this would be another great item to sell on my table at our community's Bake & Craft Sale in the Spring!

I think this would be another great item to sell on my table at our community's Bake & Craft Sale in the Spring!
It sells like crazy. I used to have a client (ex model) who´d call me every 2 months or so.
"Can you give me a case of your Red Pepper Jelly?"
But of course - she used to take it to the beach, and the snack of the day was philadelphia, crackers and pepper jelly!

Back
Top Bottom