Help with a Curry !

ian

Veteran
Local time
8:22 AM
Hi i just joined , it look's a Great Site , I need help please with making a Curry , i have been making a Curry for my Family over the past few week's and there is something missing ,
I cook my onions off then add my Curry Powder let it cook for 5 Mins , then i add my Sieved Tomatoes let that heat up then i add my Coconut Milk , i let that cook for a bit then i turn it off to rest , But there is something missing in the taste , it's lacking something i just can't think what it could be , Please help i would be very grateful to anyone who can tell me what i am doing wrong , Thank you

What type of curry are you after?

I'm vegan effectively, and make my curries from scratch not using curry powder which could easily be part of the problem. If the curry powder is not very good then your curry will lack and lack everything including taste.

Can you define what it is that is missing? Is it chilli heat, salt, spiciness or something else? The recipe I use our have modified for use does not contain curry powder but users the spices contained within curry powder plus a few more.

This is the link to my ' general ' recipe... www.cookingbites.com/threads/landed-myself-with-a-problem-my-mother-liked-one-of-my-bung-it-recipes-and-wants-a-copy.953/ don't be put off by the long list of spices, other than asafoetida they are all easily and readily available and most independent health food shops will have asafoetida for sale, and you can easily omit it if you can't obtain it.

Also you will find that adding coconut milk or cream of coconut will take away the heat of any chilli flavour which could be what you are lacking. I'm

Reactions: ian
I also was going to suggest trying a mix of herbs (or even a specific curry paste to meet a certain type of curry eg massaman, rogan josh) rather than curry powder for a good flavour.

Also give it time - spices and herbs develop over time so the longer a curry sits, the stronger the flavours.

Personally, I usually think of curries as having a tomato base or a coconut milk base - a strong tomato base can overwhelm the more subtle coconut flavour.

Good luck!

What type of curry are you after?

I'm vegan effectively, and make my curries from scratch not using curry powder which could easily be part of the problem. If the curry powder is not very good then your curry will lack and lack everything including taste.

Can you define what it is that is missing? Is it chilli heat, salt, spiciness or something else? The recipe I use our have modified for use does not contain curry powder but users the spices contained within curry powder plus a few more.

This is the link to my ' general ' recipe... www.cookingbites.com/threads/landed-myself-with-a-problem-my-mother-liked-one-of-my-bung-it-recipes-and-wants-a-copy.953/ don't be put off by the long list of spices, other than asafoetida they are all easily and readily available and most independent health food shops will have asafoetida for sale, and you can easily omit it if you can't obtain it.

Also you will find that adding coconut milk or cream of coconut will take away the heat of any chilli flavour which could be what you are lacking. I'm
Hi Thank you for your reply , i shall give it a go , ian

When I make curry, I puree the onion and brown it in a frying pan as the base to the sauce. I add some of the same ingredients to you, but I also add garlic and chilli. To make it richer, I add extra tomato puree. If I want a fruity curry, I add a big dollop of mango chutney and sultanas. Sometimes I add ginger for extra heat. It all depends on the type of curry I am making really.

Back
Top Bottom