Herb Snips

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
2:44 PM
I’ve been looking and looking for a small pair of shears that would be perfect for using in the herb garden - my usual kitchen shears are just too big and bulky.

I couldn’t find anything anywhere, or I’d find a pair, but they’d be part of a pack of three pair of different sizes, and they’d want $25 for them.

Finally found these little snips…in the sewing department:

Perfect!

For those who grow herbs, do you have a dedicated pair of herb scissors?

I’ve been looking and looking for a small pair of shears that would be perfect for using in the herb garden - my usual kitchen shears are just too big and bulky.

I couldn’t find anything anywhere, or I’d find a pair, but they’d be part of a pack of three pair of different sizes, and they’d want $25 for them.

Finally found these little snips…in the sewing department:

View attachment 89084

Perfect!

For those who grow herbs, do you have a dedicated pair of herb scissors?
For harvesting them I use shears with a serrated blade, as like with cuts on human skin, the "wound" closes and heals faster with a rough edge than with a sharp blade. I have several pairs of kitchen shears and I use those for snipping my herbs when using them in a dish.

Not yet, but soon hopefully. It is one of my several attempts to grow a herb pot row in my flat's kitchen - time - whil I was trimming the flowers in front of our building, I cut off a rosemary branch, from our lovely rosemary bush, and put it in water, will try to grow rosemary. Fingers crossed.

the only other two plants that manage to survive currently, are a coffee arabica, a friend gift, and a tiny cactus.

I use kitchen shears/scissors. I can't see any reason to buy another tool to do what I can already do with the tools I have.

CD

Not yet, but soon hopefully. It is one of my several attempts to grow a herb pot row in my flat's kitchen - time - whil I was trimming the flowers in front of our building, I cut off a rosemary branch, from our lovely rosemary bush, and put it in water, will try to grow rosemary. Fingers crossed.

the only other two plants that manage to survive currently, are a coffee arabica, a friend gift, and a tiny cactus.
I have had great success with rooting from just putting cuttings in water. Basil does very well like that. Also you can take the bottom part of a head of lettuce, celery, and more, and usually can grow roots and then transfer it to dirt. Most houseplants will grow root systems from cuttings, too. Rosemary is a slow grower so give it some time, you may have to dump out the water occasionally and put fresh in to keep it from getting stagnant and developing a brown film in the water, which the cutting will not like.

I think it's awesome you hae a coffee plant!

I usually just harvest them with a knife (paring knife) or normal scissors to be honest.
The paring knife gets used with the herb on between the thumb or finger and the blade, bending towards the blade. Don't really know how to describe it but it works (safely) for me.

My wife picks/cuts our herbs. She uses kitchen paper scissors or her hands . It's her garden so she likes to harvest it. If I'm starting cooking I ask her for whatever herbs I need prior.
Shes always saying " I'm not your blood sous chef "
Typical kommandant.

Russ

I wrecked two pairs of my gf's sewing scissors cleaning plants..they got all gummed up..I use a pair of dollar store ones now that I keep in a drawer on the back deck beside the bbq..

Last edited:
I wrecked two pairs of my gf's sewing scissors cleaning plants..they got all gummed up..I use a pair of dollar store ones now that I keep in a drawer on the back deck beside the bbq..
You can clean those with rubbing alcohol. Works well with any smoking devices too.

i have these scissors which were made in Taiwan. i can find them at Asian Hardware stores. these my MIL left for us when they moved back to Taipei.

super sharp and the big finger holes really aid in cutting things up. i use them almost daily. cutting up meat for the geriatric cat, herbs, etc. i have a slightly larger pair but i put those in storage. i can sharpen them, but oddly I haven't had to yet. they are awesome to take into the garden.

I have had great success with rooting from just putting cuttings in water. Basil does very well like that. Also you can take the bottom part of a head of lettuce, celery, and more, and usually can grow roots and then transfer it to dirt. Most houseplants will grow root systems from cuttings, too. Rosemary is a slow grower so give it some time, you may have to dump out the water occasionally and put fresh in to keep it from getting stagnant and developing a brown film in the water, which the cutting will not like.

I think it's awesome you hae a coffee plant!
Thank you, that is good advice. My rosemary cut oof did not do well. It went dry after 15 days, and black, and just did not look alive any more. I did change its water every 3 days, as awebsite suggested. But I had to throw it out, sadly.
I might try celery. I adore that scent...

The coffee plant is probably very sturdy, so it survives all that my flat had for plants :) thanks!

Thank you, that is good advice. My rosemary cut oof did not do well. It went dry after 15 days, and black, and just did not look alive any more. I did change its water every 3 days, as awebsite suggested. But I had to throw it out, sadly.
I might try celery. I adore that scent...

The coffee plant is probably very sturdy, so it survives all that my flat had for plants :) thanks!
Sorry to hear about the rosemary, I had never tried that. I know that the rooting in water works with celery from experience. Also basil and a lot of houseplants, too. I had at one time but this stuff from the garden centre called "Root Tone" that I used for cuttings some years ago. It's not terribly expensive, but if you don't plan on propogating a lot of plants and herbs, probably not worth buying it.

Back
Top Bottom