Herbs abundance

Basil needed using up so this time more traditional.
D731D78B-90F5-45A1-9D0F-B2CA271EE4D4.jpeg
3AA0E7DC-3EE8-4637-8001-198D6B62FF9C.jpeg

I made pesto out of mine, daughter loves it. Just stocked up on walnuts so next lot with them.i love walnuts but has trouble getting some, until someone I knew mentioned they had a tree. Problem solved.

Russ

We've had a few frosts so our stock of basil is now gone. The best year ever for basil, but worst year for tomatoes.
Odd season!!

Russ

Great shot. What are your herbs, thyme and basil,maybe mint??

Russ
In the front row (L to R): french tarragon, thyme, oregano and mint
Back row (L to R): rosemary, sage and bay
In the planter we have parsley (this isn't hardy to so it needs replacing frequently), and you can't see it in the photo but there's also a middle row with a couple of clumps of chives.
Sadly basil doesn't grow very well outside here, so when I grow it its more of a greenhouse plant.

Everything except the rosemary and bay I cut back severely over the winter to keep the plants small and tender (otherwise they tend to go a bit woody). It'll soon be time to get the dehydrator out and harvest and dry some oregano whilst its in it's prime and before it flowers, same for the thyme and maybe the sage too (though I don't tend to use much dried sage). The mint is grown in a pot set into the ground in an effort to stop it taking over...and whilst it's huge right now, it'll get used up pretty quickly in Pimms :thumbsup:

In the front row (L to R): french tarragon, thyme, oregano and mint
Back row (L to R): rosemary, sage and bay
In the planter we have parsley (this isn't hardy to so it needs replacing frequently), and you can't see it in the photo but there's also a middle row with a couple of clumps of chives.
Sadly basil doesn't grow very well outside here, so when I grow it its more of a greenhouse plant.

Everything except the rosemary and bay I cut back severely over the winter to keep the plants small and tender (otherwise they tend to go a bit woody). It'll soon be time to get the dehydrator out and harvest and dry some oregano whilst its in it's prime and before it flowers, same for the thyme and maybe the sage too (though I don't tend to use much dried sage). The mint is grown in a pot set into the ground in an effort to stop it taking over...and whilst it's huge right now, it'll get used up pretty quickly in Pimms :thumbsup:

Lol, you made me smile, my late m.i.l used to drink pimms, never saw her drunk though,lmao.
Your herbs are similar to ours, we dry and chop and save. Wife had bumper crops of basil and coriander this year, dried and frozen, we have heaps. Do you not make sage and onion stuffing in a roast chicken?? That's where all mine goes. I will mention to the wife about tarragon. Never used it I think??

Russ

Lol, you made me smile, my late m.i.l used to drink pimms, never saw her drunk though,lmao.
Its very very easy to drink too much Pimms.....it doesn't taste particularly strong but properly made (1 part Pimms to 3 parts lemonade) its actually about 6.3% ABV (which is higher than many ciders and lagers!). And of course if you're having it at home, many people don't bother to measure the proportions so it can be even stronger.......

Do you not make sage and onion stuffing in a roast chicken?? That's where all mine goes
Stuffing is one of the few foods that I tend to use from a packet :oops: I do occasionally make it homemade if I want one with sausagemeat in it, but for things like plain stuffing balls if we tend to use Paxo sage and onion. I mostly use sage in Italian cooking - I like a sage butter sauce with ravioli or tortellini for example. I think I need to try using it in more recipes though.

Its very very easy to drink too much Pimms.....it doesn't taste particularly strong but properly made (1 part Pimms to 3 parts lemonade) its actually about 6.3% ABV (which is higher than many ciders and lagers!). And of course if you're having it at home, many people don't bother to measure the proportions so it can be even stronger.......

Stuffing is one of the few foods that I tend to use from a packet :oops: I do occasionally make it homemade if I want one with sausagemeat in it, but for things like plain stuffing balls if we tend to use Paxo sage and onion. I mostly use sage in Italian cooking - I like a sage butter sauce with ravioli or tortellini for example. I think I need to try using it in more recipes though.

I make a stuffing of breadcrumbs onion and sage, lots of sage. Couple of eggs and some orange juice to make it moist. Cook it inside the chicken. It's real comfort food. Try it.

Russ

We have tried pesto and don't like it, turns out it is the pine nuts we don't like. This was discovered when at a pub a starter was pesto made with hazelnuts, it was really nice.

The only herb we can successfully grow is wild garlic, everything else we have tried had failed :(

Back
Top Bottom