Here we go again

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
12:07 PM
Another storm. This is only the second time in my memory that a storm blew in during the day. Delta has just been down graded to Category 1. We have been watching the trees whipping in the wind. Local meteorologist just reported wind gust of 95 mph. We stood under the carport between our vehicles. It was difficult to stay in one spot. The power is still on but we are ready with the generator at the back door, flashlights around the house and a battery powered radio. Phones are fully charged. It is 7 p.m. The worst should be over for us in a couple of hours. Fortunately a fast moving storm.

Another storm. This is only the second time in my memory that a storm blew in during the day. Delta has just been down graded to Category 1. We have been watching the trees whipping in the wind. Local meteorologist just reported wind gust of 95 mph. We stood under the carport between our vehicles. It was difficult to stay in one spot. The power is still on but we are ready with the generator at the back door, flashlights around the house and a battery powered radio. Phones are fully charged. It is 7 p.m. The worst should be over for us in a couple of hours. Fortunately a fast moving storm.

Yeah cd mentioned you might cop a bit of it? Stay safe, I'll look at CNN later.

Russ

From what I've heard, it is supposed to blow through pretty rapidly. Let's hope so.

My best friend down in Port Arthur lost power about 5PM. A 60-year-old tree fell on the power lines. Turns out the tree was in his brother's back yard, a street away. Their winds are about 40mph, with gusts up to 75.

Stay safe!

CD

Hi ElizabethB, How are you doing? I hope the storm passed through and everyone is doing well.

Right now, the eye of the storm is as close as it will get to Lafayette, and EB. It is just barely a Cat-1 storm. By midnight, it should be well North and West of her, and by morning, it should be gone. She may even get some sunshine tomorrow.

CD

Right now, the eye of the storm is as close as it will get to Lafayette, and EB. It is just barely a Cat-1 storm. By midnight, it should be well North and West of her, and by morning, it should be gone. She may even get some sunshine tomorrow.

CD

Thanks for letting me know. I would have been worried all night otherwise.

9:17 p.m. Unbelievably the power is still on. It will be a couple of more hours before the bands of wind die down. Thankfully it is not raining. 10 minutes ago there was a 75 mph. wind gust. IDK what the sustained winds are. High. I occasionally stick my head out of the back door. I have to hold on to the door with both hands to keep it ripping out of my hand and slamming into the wall. CD even a Cat 1 storm is fierce. We never take a hurricane lightly. I don't get over excited. I take care of business - pick up anything that could be blown into the windows, sand bags, gas for the generator, propane for the grill, batteries for flashlights and radio, phones fully charged, sandwich fixings and food that can be prepared in the microwave or toaster oven. Obviously we can not use the grill during the storm but if the power is out after the storm we can still cook.
George gets stressed. He wanted to leave. I will not. We have been through some of the worst storms to hit our region. We will not flood. The oak tree is no longer in the back yard. There are tall pine trees in the boulevard but I will take my chances. Last night George asked me what it would take for me to leave. Nothing. We were here when Andrew blew into Vermillion Bay (20 miles due south) at 150 mph. The house will stand. If we left I would be a crazy with worry.
The TV is on - latest update - sustained winds 50 to 65 mph. gust up to 100 mph. Gust of 100 mph. not likely. Gust of 85 mph. can be expected.
All of a sudden the wind dies down then blows up again.
A big issue is emergency services. Ambulances and fire trucks can not safely travel with winds higher than 35 mph. First responders have to evaluate calls before sending crews out. It really has to be a life or death situation for them to respond during a storm.
Updates in the morning.

We never lost power.
I have been on the phone with Mother and Middle Sister. Mother is out of power. Her cook top is gas and Brother has lots of propane and wood burning cooking equipment. Brother is out trying to find a generator for the fridge, freezers and fans. The roof of her storage building is partially off. A Pear tree and Peach tree were uprooted. A large branch from an oak tree in her front yard fell, fortunately away from the house.
Middle Sister is out of power and an old Pecan tree in her back yard snapped about 5' up. It took out the roof on her patio and is resting on the roof over her bedroom. She has a generator and her cook top is gas. She spent the morning contacting her insurance agent, tree service, roofer and FEMA.
I have not yet reached my Baby Sister.

Sorry about your mom and sister. Hope the other sister has good news. Glad you and G came through.

On the bright side, that pear, peach, oak and pecan wood are good for smoking! Though, if the uprooted trees aren't too big or badly damaged, and your brother has help, they might be able to re-stand them. We did that with a macadamia nut tree that blew over. It had to be staked for a while and took a bit to stabilize and start growing again, but it did eventually.

Sorry about your mom and sister. Hope the other sister has good news. Glad you and G came through.

On the bright side, that pear, peach, oak and pecan wood are good for smoking! Though, if the uprooted trees aren't too big or badly damaged, and your brother has help, they might be able to re-stand them. We did that with a macadamia nut tree that blew over. It had to be staked for a while and took a bit to stabilize and start growing again, but it did eventually.
Unfortunately the trees are too large to be staked up. Brother is excited about the wood. His priority is to repair the roof on the storage building. All of his power tools, yard equipment and several cookers are in the building.
Finely heard from Baby Sister. There are a couple of trees down along the back fence line at their home. Not a priority. Their horse farm is another issue. They breed quarter horses. They are the top breeder in the state. Three storage sheds are gone and half of the barn roof was ripped off. It is a very large barn. They have been out since dawn cleaning debris from the pastures. None of the horses were hurt. A major clean up.
There is no such thing as a minor hurricane.

ElizabethB, I'm glad things didn't turn out worse than they did. I hope you all are able to get things sorted out quickly and hope the clean-up is uneventful and things can get back to normal for all of you soon.

I am sending you tons of positive energy and gratitude that everyone is safe.

Unfortunately the trees are too large to be staked up. Brother is excited about the wood. His priority is to repair the roof on the storage building. All of his power tools, yard equipment and several cookers are in the building.
Finely heard from Baby Sister. There are a couple of trees down along the back fence line at their home. Not a priority. Their horse farm is another issue. They breed quarter horses. They are the top breeder in the state. Three storage sheds are gone and half of the barn roof was ripped off. It is a very large barn. They have been out since dawn cleaning debris from the pastures. None of the horses were hurt. A major clean up.
There is no such thing as a minor hurricane.

You sound like an incredible tough gal? :)

Russ

there was a 75 mph
Her Madge, the other week we had a very big storm. Winds of 60/70 mph for 5 hrs, our neighbor, a very pleasant lady has a swimming pool in the garden and the wooden electricity pole with the supply for the houses. My wife hear her scream, the pole was being blown at an angle towards the pool. Marina and I withe the ladies help held the pole, Carmilo got a prop from his tool shed (entrance by invitation, no women allowed) and with a guy just walking by hammered it into the ground. The electricity board emergency crew came within the hour. They will come back next week to reset it.
1602394723211.png

Back
Top Bottom