Recipe Hibiscus Drink

BelleFleur

Veteran
Local time
10:24 AM
Saint Croix, United States Virgin Islands
I really enjoy making Hibiscus Drink, especially during the summer time when it gets really hot. I added some ice and a few slices of freshly picked lemons from my garden. It's an extremely reviving and delightful refreshment... :p:

INGREDIENTS

3 quarts (12 cups) water
2 1/2 cups dried hibiscus flowers
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 1 large lime)

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large pot bring water to a boil over high heat.

Add dried hibiscus flowers to pot of boiling water, add sugar and stir until sugar has dissolved.

Let steep for 15-20 minutes.

Stir in lime juice.

Set aside to cool.

Strain through fine mesh strainer or a chinois into a large, plastic or glass container.

Refrigerate or Add ice to chill

You can add vanilla extract to add more flavor, but I before using cherry extract instead.

images-1.jpeg

Last edited:
I had this in Egypt and it really is nice! I even brought some dried hibiscus flowers back home with me to recreate the drink, but never managed to find any more for sale in my country.

Oh nice, sounds really fascinating! I am not a fan of hibiscus drink but my sister loves it! I will surprise her one of these days and make this for her!
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

That sounds so good! I used to drink a lot of hibiscus tea, but I haven't experimented a lot with cold hibiscus drinks. I would probably replace sugar for sweetener, but this sounds very refreshing!

This sounds delicious, thank you for sharing. I am a huge fan of the Celestial Seasonings "Red Zinger" tea which I believe Hibiscus is one of the main ingredients in it, however it's a bit expensive compared to regular tea, so I don't get it too often. Where would I find the dried Hibiscus flowers though? Did you have them shipped to you or does one of your local specialty stores sell them? I also wonder how they compare in price to the Celestial Seasonings tea bags.

Back
Top Bottom