High End Restaurants are Adding a Service Charge Beyond the Gratuity

Same with other service individuals whom I might hire for whatever purpose.
The two service guys I work with (electrician and appliance repair) both use Square (I think that’s what it’s called), so they swipe my card right on their phone, and I get a receipt right there.

The A/C guy works for a larger company, so they have a proper credit card scanner they use.

The two service guys I work with (electrician and appliance repair) both use Square (I think that’s what it’s called), so they swipe my card right on their phone, and I get a receipt right there.

The A/C guy works for a larger company, so they have a proper credit card scanner they use.
My pedicurist uses Square. I tip her an extra buck to cover the service fee she has to pay.

Square charges the business owner 1.63% but it’s slightly more for AMEX 2% and if you do a manually entered charge Hts more like 3.5%.
I didn't know that, but since I tip her 30% already she's probably ok with that. She charges me $30 for a pedicure...

Last edited:
We just had an unpleasant experience tonight. Went to a fairly new Italian restaurant for dinner, will post about food later in dinner thread. The check was brought to the table and our waiter didn't even give me a chance to look over it, just stood over us with one of those handheld point of sale devices. I absolutely HATE having somebody stand over me/lurk regardless of what I'm doing. The check also had the QRC code to pay, which I chose to do. I felt very rushed and pressured, but went ahead to add the tip and pay. As I was finishing payment, the waiter walked away to get Craig's takeout dessert. Then, as I jotted down the amount of the tip on the bill, I noticed a 20% service charge had been added to our bill for the 2 of us. The service charge plus tip was about 45% of our food bill. Waiter came back and I guess my face showed my unhappiness as he asked if something was wrong. I spoke about the service charge and that I hadn't noticed it. He said he hadn't noticed it and that they would void the transaction, which they did. I redid the payment with him standing over me again.

Where I live, service charges are required to be prominently posted on or next to the entrance or listed on the menu. There was nothing anywhere, not even for large parties much less for 2.

Perhaps I'm being very cynical, but given that I was being rushed, plus the fact that we are older, I have trouble walking, and there is nothing posted about a service charge, I have to wonder if this was, in fact, a mistake.

I made sure I brought home the voided transaction receipt to ensure against any more "mistakes."

We just had an unpleasant experience tonight.
I’m about the most easygoing person there is regarding tips and service charges…and that would tick me off.

I, too, think any place that adds a service charge has to post it prominently, but a service charge for two people? That’s just price-gouging, if you ask me.

The hovering…that would also bother me. The unwritten rule is to leave the bill in the little wallet, and when they see the card (or cash) peeking out the top, then come on over.

Depending on my mood, if I’m feeling rushed, I can be a real jerk about it (yeah, I’ve sat in a parking space, back up lights on, with no intention of moving, because someone’s honked at me to vacate), so I likely would have just ignored them until they went away…or asked for a refill on my water. 😬

Sorry the evening was spoiled a little for you both.

Just handing me the check, and standing over me to pay would pi$$ me off. Especially if I am in the middle of a conversation with my fellow diners. But, that could be a Gen-Z thing. You ate, now pay me and get out so I can seat someone else at your table.

What happened to putting a little folded booklet with the check inside on the table, and walking away? The person paying the tab picks the booklet up, reads the charges, and puts a credit card or cash in the booklet, with the card or cash sticking out. That's the signal for the server to pick up the booklet and process the payment. What was so difficult about that?

1697073996991.png

It sounds like the service charge was an intentional mistake, to me. If somebody complains, you just say, "Oops!" If not, the restaurant makes more money, and shares some with the server.

CD

It wasn't a pay me and get out. There were only 2 other tables with patrons.

And, now the voided transaction is gone from my bank account, which was there when I checked before we left. Glad I kept paper copy.

We just had an unpleasant experience tonight. Went to a fairly new Italian restaurant for dinner, will post about food later in dinner thread. The check was brought to the table and our waiter didn't even give me a chance to look over it, just stood over us with one of those handheld point of sale devices. I absolutely HATE having somebody stand over me/lurk regardless of what I'm doing. The check also had the QRC code to pay, which I chose to do. I felt very rushed and pressured, but went ahead to add the tip and pay. As I was finishing payment, the waiter walked away to get Craig's takeout dessert. Then, as I jotted down the amount of the tip on the bill, I noticed a 20% service charge had been added to our bill for the 2 of us. The service charge plus tip was about 45% of our food bill. Waiter came back and I guess my face showed my unhappiness as he asked if something was wrong. I spoke about the service charge and that I hadn't noticed it. He said he hadn't noticed it and that they would void the transaction, which they did. I redid the payment with him standing over me again.

Where I live, service charges are required to be prominently posted on or next to the entrance or listed on the menu. There was nothing anywhere, not even for large parties much less for 2.

Perhaps I'm being very cynical, but given that I was being rushed, plus the fact that we are older, I have trouble walking, and there is nothing posted about a service charge, I have to wonder if this was, in fact, a mistake.

I made sure I brought home the voided transaction receipt to ensure against any more "mistakes."

Give them a bad review.

Russ

First of all, I totally agree with you that, a waiter hanging over you when you've just finished your meal (which you have just eaten), is unacceptable.
I completely fail to understand why a "service charge" is added to the bill, unless this is a tip for the waiter/waitress. If it IS a tip, then no extra tip should be added.
Hang on a minute, though; waiters and waitresses earn such lousy wages that they have to receive tips to ensure their take home pay is adequate to provide for their families, but this particular restaurant decides to charge the client for the "service"? Does the service charge go to them?
It is what it is, and I know that, in the USA, waiters/waitresses depend on tips, and the system works on tips, which supposedly depends on good service. I've never, ever been disappointed with service in the USA. Compare it with England, for example, and the USA is about 100 miles ahead.
I personally dislike being "obliged" to pay a tip, especially when it's 15-20%, but that's how it works in the US and I doubt very much it will change. But adding "service" on top sounds like a rip-off.

Back
Top Bottom