Home Decor

Or, a Croatian one, instead of "to Devil" which is "k vragu", I use "to Sparrow" i.r. "k vrapcu"...it does not get any milder😂
It reminds me of the time I angrily muttered, "Jesus F*****g Christ!" - and the guy next to me replied, "You must be mad...you used his full name!" :laugh:

I'd like to finish off setting up my kitchen, but I've got a bit of an issue. I don't know what might be the best way to open air shelve things like onions, un-skinned garlic, potatoes and other items that ought not to be refrigerated, until they are cut. Include bananas and other fruit in that too.

Right now, I leave the bananas in a plastic bag on the kitchen/living room bar and other stuff is piled on a 12" diameter baking dish which seems to migrate around the kitchen counter. Counter space is already getting precious.

I don't think it appropriate to store these things in the dark, behind cabinet doors. They should be left out, open air, so if they should start to spoil, it will be visible and any odors will not collect in the cabinet space.

What to do? What to do? I use the top of the fridge for bread, BTW.

I'd like to finish off setting up my kitchen, but I've got a bit of an issue. I don't know what might be the best way to open air shelve things like onions, un-skinned garlic, potatoes and other items that ought not to be refrigerated, until they are cut. Include bananas and other fruit in that too.

It may be technically wrong but I tend to bung most things in the fridge, as they keep longer. Bananas, other fruits, onions, potatoes etc. The exceptions are tomatoes (which can lose taste if refrigerated) and garlic which seems to stay fine outside the fridge.

It may be technically wrong but I tend to bung most things in the fridge, as they keep longer. Bananas, other fruits, onions, potatoes etc. The exceptions are tomatoes (which can lose taste if refrigerated) and garlic which seems to stay fine outside the fridge.

I've always found that bananas go brown quicker when refrigerated. Most fruit is ok until cut, at room temps. Tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, onions, garlic, potatoes and a host of other veggies are best kept open air at room temps. Some veggies like lettuce, celery, peppers and mushrooms need to be kept refrigerated from the start.

I thought of a hanging basket, but there's no where to hang it for those items that store at room temperature in open air.

But a sort of solution has presented itself in the form of the new collanders I just received. I put the largest collander in the baking dish and the dry open air storage items in it. It gives me more room for those things and still catches any drip, should something begin to rot, unnoticed.

So, I will consider my kitchen prep done.

That leaves the bedroom and the living/dining room to go.

I have periodically been hearing a mystery noise that sounds like the air conditioner is coming on, but I have it always turned off. I have doubted that I could hear the A/C from other people's apartments, so this has been, yes, a real mystery noise.

I finally got a clue today. As the noise progressed, the kitchen sink suddenly gurgled. The mystery noise is solved. It appears to be the garbage disposal of the folks upstairs.

Isn't apartment life wonderful?

I wanted to wait until I was completely finished with the kitchen, but I know what a lazybones I am, so I'll do it in pieces:

Before Backsplash:

After Backsplash:

You can also see the new blinds installed over the sink.

Next up, new single-tub stainless steel sink, then fresh paint. I'll also be replacing those generic outlet and switch covers with something a little more ornate.

I'd love to paint those outdated cabinets, but after watching several videos...I ain't doin' that! :laugh:

Looking at the pics above...it sure doesn't take long for counter space to get used up.

Ordering some under-cabinet lights today.

Looking at the pics above...it sure doesn't take long for counter space to get used up.

Ordering some under-cabinet lights today.

Well you have way more space than I do. Re the cabinets, there is a thing here where you simply replace the doors and get a completely new look for a fraction of the price of a new kitchen.

Well you have way more space than I do. Re the cabinets, there is a thing here where you simply replace the doors and get a completely new look for a fraction of the price of a new kitchen.
They do that here as well, though their "fraction of a price" is a pretty big fraction! :)

What I'd love to have is the sink and the stove swapped. I'd clear some of that long stretch of countertop off and have a perfect assembly-line prep area.

I wanted to wait until I was completely finished with the kitchen, but I know what a lazybones I am, so I'll do it in pieces:

Before Backsplash:
View attachment 62292

View attachment 62293

View attachment 62294

After Backsplash:
View attachment 62295

View attachment 62296

View attachment 62297

You can also see the new blinds installed over the sink.

Next up, new single-tub stainless steel sink, then fresh paint. I'll also be replacing those generic outlet and switch covers with something a little more ornate.

I'd love to paint those outdated cabinets, but after watching several videos...I ain't doin' that! :laugh:
Nice job! It looks totally refreshed! Are those washable?

Not exactly decor, but need to replace the window in my kid's room, and get the new blinds that are in a set with the window.

It is a costly affair. 950 Usd. 🤔🙈

Will ask for more offers.

The present window is from the 1970's. Wooden frame, double glass. Her blinds went broke at least 3 times, as well as the pulling rope, repaired by a handyman.

Who was the one telling me JUST new blinds make no sense, I need to get both new Pvc window and blinds.🤔

Back
Top Bottom