Home Energy Costs

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:25 PM
[Mod comment: several posts moved to form a new topic (TR)]

We get a free half day here of electricity because my wife threatened power company we were changing. We get it on a Thursday so that's wash and dryer day. We spend about 300 to 700 depending on season per month

Russ

We get a free half day here of electricity because my wife threatened power company we were changing. We get it on a Thursday so that's wash and dryer day. We spend about 300 to 700 depending on season per month

Russ

Wow, that's a lot. I have my electricity bill on rolling averaging, so I pay roughly the same amount every month of the year. My monthly bill is about $95 USD. My heating and water heating is natural gas. I am on rolling averaging for that, too. I am paying about 50-bucks USD per month. So, my total energy bill is about $145 USD per month.

CD

Wow, that's a lot. I have my electricity bill on rolling averaging, so I pay roughly the same amount every month of the year. My monthly bill is about $95 USD. My heating and water heating is natural gas. I am on rolling averaging for that, too. I am paying about 50-bucks USD per month. So, my total energy bill is about $145 USD per month.

CD

My home is always comfortable and cosy, I'm not going cold for nobody.
I know we are above average, I dont care. Lol. 0

Russ

CD
But you have no idea what his square footage is. You also have to factor currency exchange rates.

My home is always comfortable and cosy, I'm not going cold for nobody.
I know we are above average, I dont care. Lol. 0

Russ

Oh, I don't do anything special to save energy. I try not to waste it, but I am comfortable.

Energy costs in Texas are low. Besides oil and gas, Texas is number 1 in the USA for wind energy, and number 2 for solar energy. The "Big Freeze" of last February pointed out some reliability issues, but energy prices here are really low.

CD

Oh, I don't do anything special to save energy. I try not to waste it, but I am comfortable.

Energy costs in Texas are low. Besides oil and gas, Texas is number 1 in the USA for wind energy, and number 2 for solar energy. The "Big Freeze" of last February pointed out some reliability issues, but energy prices here are really low.

CD
I wish we had solar energy options. Ohio is gray and dismal most of the year. Our state is one of the highest in vitamin D deficiency in the US.

Last edited:
But you have no idea what his square footage is. You also have to factor currency exchange rates.

My converted total monthly energy bill is 273 NZD. Considerably less than 400 to 700 NZD.

If his house is double the size of mine, he is still paying a lot.

CD

My converted total monthly energy bill is 273 NZD. Considerably less than 400 to 700 NZD.

CD

Downstairs is 3 bedroom average home, upstairs approx 10metres x 6 metres, large lounge and large bedroom with en suite.

Russ

CD
Friend sent me Sam's club prices on gas the other day. From texas.

Russ

CD
I had to ask hubby what ours is because I don't pay bills, but we (he) pay $450-$500 a month for electric, gas, sewer and garbage collection. But our house is over 6k sqft not including the basements.

Last edited:
I had to ask hubby what ours is because I don't pay bills, but we pay $450-$500 a month for electric, gas, sewer and garbage collection. But our house is over 6k sqft not including the basements.
No gas here, city council covers rubbish and sewer etc.. rates about 400? A quarter.

Russ

I wish we had solar energy options. Ohio is gray and dismal most of the year. Our state is one of the highest jn vitamin D deficiency in the US.
On average we have even less sunshine than you, but solar panels are still worth it :okay:.
Average hours of sunshine per year:
- London 1633
- Columbus OH 2182
- Cleveland OH 2,280

We only have a small 4kw setup, but even on a winter's day if the sun shines it gives us enough free electricity to run the background load of the house and more: the sun is out today so my smart meter is currently showing we are using 0w of electricity - that's with both of us working from home (heating is gas though). On average we generate around 1500kWh per year - which is around 20% of our yearly electricity usage.

Last edited:
Are we comparing electricity bills? I pay around 39€ for gas and electricity per month. And electricity in Portugal is expensive by our living standards.

I live alone, so I run the dish washer twice per week max. The washing machine runs 4 times per month at best. Boyfriend spends 2/3 days per week at my house otherwise I would be paying even less.

Are we comparing electricity bills? I pay around 39€ for gas and electricity per month. And electricity in Portugal is expensive by our living standards.

We pay £166 per month combined gas and electricity - most of that is electricity though as only the heating is on gas now. Plus we have a hot tub which costs something around £50 a month to run :shy:

We pay £166 per month combined gas and electricity - most of that is electricity though as only the heating is on gas now. Plus we have a hot tub which costs something around £50 a month to run :shy:
Maybe it's important that I mention houses in Portugal don't have heating systems. We rely on small, portable heaters if we want to stay warm. I generally avoid running my heater because it adds a good 15€ on my electricity bill when I use it, so I mostly get by on wearing different layers of clothes, drinking tea and keeping a blanket on my legs while I'm working. So far temperatures have been around 13C so this is fine (btw inside our houses is always colder than outside). But January last year was extremely cold by our standards and I was shivering so bad I couldn't even work, so I had to turn on the heater.

Back
Top Bottom