Home kill, do you?

Our house warming party back in 2000 included a whole pig. It was brought live and killed in the back field. And not very humanely. I can still hear it squealing!

I'm not a vegetarian but I object to animals being made to suffer.
I think there are a few human animals who might deserve to suffer...but of course I won't be eating him!

Disclaimer: not my husband.

I have never personally hunted or processed birds or animals. I do fish and scale or skin and filet my catch. I do not remember a time when I did not observe birds and animals being processed. As a child we had cattle. Dad would process a calf each year. Every fall Mother's Aunts and Uncles had a multi family Bouchere (pig slaughtering and processing). After Dad gave up the cattle he raised chickens, ducks and quail. Dad and my brothers hunted and fished. George hunts and fishes. He went fishing last Wednesday and came home with a gallon bag of Speckled Trout (Sea Trout) fillets. We have Teal and Mallard ducks in the freezer and wild pig. We are low on venison, except venison sausage. Our deal is he hunts it and cleans it, I cook it and eat it. I do help with the sausage making. One person can do it but it is much easier with an extra pair of hands.
The woods where George hunts are overrun with wild pigs. There is no season or limit because they are considered a nuisance animal. Large pigs especially Boars are left in the woods for the predators. The pigs do have to be cleaned properly. There are glands on the inside of the legs that have to be removed.
Anyway - the short answer is yes.
Wild boars are so dangerous, seriously sad how overrun some of the southern states in the US are by them. They are dangerous to people, domestic animals, and other wildlife.

When I lived in Florida I was a massage therapist. I sometimes did outcalls. I went to a vacation home on the river about 20 miles north of where I lived to do massages for a vacationing family who I knew quite well (they also had a home on the beach). On my way out on the clay road that early evening, there were probably 5 wild boars in the road ahead of me. I stopped. They approached my Jeep and a few were rubbing themselves on my bumper, and my Jeep was rocking wildly. It freaked me out. They had no fear. I revved up my engine and some of them dispersed, but there were a few aggressive ones who did not, so I just had to go, and I think one of them was injured, not really sure. I hightailed it out of there quickly!

I think their snouts are bigger than their tusks, better for rooting out truffles. MG, were you eating truffles that day?
No - in fact I don't think I even knew what truffles were back then! I had just climbed a steep pathway up a cliff from a little nudist beach (bay). There was woodland at the top and I heard the drumming of its feet... scary.

Last edited:
No - in fact I don't think I even knew what truffles were back thenI I had just climbed a steep pathway up a cliff from a little nudist beach (bay). There was woodland at the top and I heard the drumming of its feet... scary.
Oh MG, your beauty brought the Frenchman down to all fours...

Well I didn't mean to insult anyone of French ancestry. It could have happened In any country where they have wild pigs roaming around. And nude beaches.

In all seriousness, those things are dangerous and I am glad that you were not hurt.

Last edited:
Do you or have you experienced home kill meat? I've killed and dressed lambs pigs and chickens. Not because we are poor, just that I know a lot of farming people that raise stick. From slitting a lambs through to skinning and dressing. Cutting up and freezing. I just ordered a whole lamb dressed for xmas. I prolly wont pay much as I will swap stuff.
Have you any experience, I'm picking TastyReuben has ? Any others here?

Russ

Nope, not for me! I could never kill an animal, then cook it & eat it!!! To me, it's almost like cannibalism! I once saw a hog being slaughtered, & I stopped eating pork for 2 years!! That poor hog!!!! I'm glad that I don't have a farm. There, I'd have to raise & kill livestock!! You'd become a friend to the animals, & to me, you'd be killing & eating a friend! I'd be no good!!!! 😱

Last edited:
Nope, not for me! I could never kill an animal, then cook it & eat it!!! To me, it's almost like cannibalism! I once saw a pig being slaughtered, & I stopped eating pork for 2 years!! I'm glad that I don't have a farm. There, I'd have to raise & kill livestock!! You'd become a friend to the animals, & to me, to'd be killing & eating a friend! I'd be no good!!!! 😱
I went pescatarian for a couple of years in my 20s. I rationalized that if I couldn't kill it and clean it myself I shouldn't be eating it. I had no problems with fish and other seafood but land animals, even birds (yeah I know they mostly fly), I don't think I could do it. I'd lose my appetite for sure. But I snapped out of it one day while drinking at a barbecue (all kinds of great meats being cooked) and never looked back.

I went pescatarian for a couple of years in my 20s. I rationalized that if I couldn't kill it and clean it myself I shouldn't be eating it. I had no problems with fish and other seafood but land animals, even birds (yeah I know they mostly fly), I don't think I could do it. I'd lose my appetite for sure. But I snapped out of it one day while drinking at a barbecue (all kinds of great meats being cooked) and never looked back.

Imagine that you are raising a hog from a baby. You get to know the hog. He becomes your life-long friend, your child!! You & him are the best of friends through thick & thin!! Then one day you decide that you have to kill him for meat because the freezer is empty!! Would you do it? Your stomach probably says yes, but your heart & mind says no. I'd feel so bad after doing that, even though the freezer is empty!! I'd probably cry my eyes out!! It is just not in me to kill an animal to eat!! :cry:

Last edited:
You get to know the hog. He becomes your life-long friend, your child!! You & him are the best of friends through thick & thin!!
That only happens if you let it. As long as you remember what you're raising them for, it's not a problem. Just don't confide in your pig all your problems, or let him sleep in the bed with you, and it'll work out. :wink:

My mom, the first year we had chickens, she'd named them all, and given them names to fit their characters, like the one that crowed a lot was Tom Jones ("'cause he's the singin'est!").

Come that first butchering day, Mom was very upset, but she still did the work of scalding and plucking, and I remember her working at the giant washtub sat over the fire, scalding the chickens, and every one that would go in, she'd cry and sniffle a little and say something like, "I'm sorry, Miss Lizzie!" and she swore never to name a food animal again.

Don't name your food animals! :laugh:

Imagine that you are raising a hog from a baby. You get to know the hog. He becomes your life-long friend, your child!! You & him are the best of friends through thick & thin!! Then one day you deside that you have to kill him for meat because the freezer is empty!! Would you do it? Your stomach probably says yes, but your heart & mind says no. I'd feel so bad after doing that, even though the freezer is empty!! I'd probably cry my eyes out!! It is just not in me to kill an animal to eat!! :cry:
Obviously, no. Didn't you read my post that you quoted?

But I have no problems cutting off the head of a fish, gutting, and fileting it, and I will still have an appetite. In fact, if I see a grouper or other food fish alive, I think about how good it would taste. That doesn't happen when I look at a cow, pig, or chicken. And no, I would never raise animals and kill them.

That only happens if you let it. As long as you remember what you're raising them for, it's not a problem. Just don't confide in your pig all your problems, or let him sleep in the bed with you, and it'll work out. :wink:

My mom, the first year we had chickens, she'd named them all, and given them names to fit their characters, like the one that crowed a lot was Tom Jones ("'cause he's the singin'est!").

Come that first butchering day, Mom was very upset, but she still did the work of scalding and plucking, and I remember her working at the giant washtub sat over the fire, scalding the chickens, and every one that would go in, she'd cry and sniffle a little and say something like, "I'm sorry, Miss Lizzie!" and she swore never to name a food animal again.

Don't name your food animals! :laugh:
I could name a fish and still be able to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom