Ingredients:

1) Cocoa Powder - 1 Cup
2) Butter - 1/4 to 1/2 Cup
3) Half N Half - 1/4 Cup
4) Powdered Sugar - 1/4 Cup
5) Vanilla - 1 Tspn.
6) Honey - 2 Tspns.

Procedure:

1) Place the Butter and Cocoa Powder in a glass heat-resistant bowl.
2) Mix the Cocoa Powder and Butter to form a consistent paste.

NOTE: Butter should be pre-softened.

HomeMadeChocolate01.jpg

3) In a double boiler, stir on low heat until hot.

NOTE: The double boiler should allow the bowl to just sit in about 1/2" of simmering 100F heated Water. A pot holder or cloth may be required as the bowl can get hot, but it shouldn't.

NOTE: Continually stir and don't allow the mix to cake on the sides of the bowl.

4) Blend until smooth.

5) In a separate bowl mix Half N Half, Sugar, Vanilla and Honey.

NOTE: Blend the Cream and Sugar mix until all the Powdered Sugar is dissolved into the mix.

6) Gradually add the Milk and Sugar mixture to Cocoa-Butter and mix.

NOTE: It is OK to taste the mix and add more Sugar, if desired.

7) Pour into mold(s)

NOTE: Ice cube trays may work, if there are enough of them. But it is recommended to use a shallow mold to produce one large Chocolate Bar.

NOTE: If a larger Bar mold is used, ensure that the Chocolate is leveled so that when it is removed, it sits flat. Ice cube tray Chocolate Bars need not be leveled and may even have swirls on them by using a piping bag to put the Chocolate into each pocket in the tray.

HomeMadeChocolate04.jpg

8) Allow the molded Chocolate to cool and then freeze for 4 to 10 hours to allow the Chocolate to set.

NOTE: The amount of time to freeze varies depending upon the thickness and size of the created Chocolate Bars. Freezing does not hasten the process, but is necessary to properly set the Chocolate.

9) Remove the Chocolate from the freezer and test for solidity. Then, if solid, press the Chocolate out of the Mold(s) to reveal the Chocolate Bars.

10) Serve or, if desired, store or utilize in baking or desserts.

Last edited:
Making your own Chocolate with this recipe is actually fairly easy to do. To do White Chocolate, you use 1/2 Cocoa Butter and 1/2 Cocoa Powder in the mix, instead of all Cocoa Powder.

I needed to be able to do this so that I can later make Granola Bars with a Chocolate base.

One observation ...

The more Cream added, the lighter the color of the Chocolate Bar ... and the softer. Less Cream produces a darker Chocolate Bar that is also harder.

The Bar I provided a picture of is somewhat light in color and is softer than what I would have liked for long term storage.

Home Made Chocolate Bars:

View attachment 56829

Ingredients:

1) Cocoa Powder - 1 Cup
2) Butter - 1/4 to 1/2 Cup
3) Half N Half - 1/4 Cup
4) Powdered Sugar - 1/4 Cup
5) Vanilla - 1 Tspn.
6) Honey - 2 Tspns.

Procedure:

1) Place the Butter and Cocoa Powder in a glass heat-resistant bowl.
2) Mix the Cocoa Powder and Butter to form a consistent paste.

NOTE: Butter should be pre-softened.

View attachment 56814

3) In a double boiler, stir on low heat until hot.

NOTE: The double boiler should allow the bowl to just sit in about 1/2" of simmering 100F heated Water. A pot holder or cloth may be required as the bowl can get hot, but it shouldn't.

NOTE: Continually stir and don't allow the mix to cake on the sides of the bowl.

4) Blend until smooth.

View attachment 56819

5) In a separate bowl mix Half N Half, Sugar, Vanilla and Honey.

NOTE: Blend the Cream and Sugar mix until all the Powdered Sugar is dissolved into the mix.

6) Gradually add the Milk and Sugar mixture to Cocoa-Butter and mix.

NOTE: It is OK to taste the mix and add more Sugar, if desired.

View attachment 56833

7) Pour into mold(s)

NOTE: Ice cube trays may work, if there are enough of them. But it is recommended to use a shallow mold to produce one large Chocolate Bar.

NOTE: If a larger Bar mold is used, ensure that the Chocolate is leveled so that when it is removed, it sits flat. Ice cube tray Chocolate Bars need not be leveled and may even have swirls on them by using a piping bag to put the Chocolate into each pocket in the tray.

View attachment 56834

8) Allow the molded Chocolate to cool and then freeze for 4 to 10 hours to allow the Chocolate to set.

NOTE: The amount of time to freeze varies depending upon the thickness and size of the created Chocolate Bars. Freezing does not hasten the process, but is necessary to properly set the Chocolate.

9) Remove the Chocolate from the freezer and test for solidity. Then, if solid, press the Chocolate out of the Mold(s) to reveal the Chocolate Bars.

10) Serve or, if desired, store or utilize in baking or desserts.

I really like this as I am a huge fan of chocolate. I don’t know if I’ll get the half-and-half as you have but I should get the corrispettive over here as “crema di latte”
I am also thinking to add some hazelnuts or walnuts...

I really like this as I am a huge fan of chocolate. I don’t know if I’ll get the half-and-half as you have but I should get the corrispettive over here as “crema di latte”
I am also thinking to add some hazelnuts or walnuts...

My thought is to use it as Baker's Chocolate and melt it down and add it to whatever I like.

Back
Top Bottom